Q. I was suggested orchidopexy for testicular torsion. Is there any alternative to this?

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

I am a 25 year old male who was recently diagnosed with bell clapper deformity and intermittent testicular torsion. We are unsure if it was onset by trauma or supplement use. The current recommendation given to me by the doctors is to perform an Orchiopexy as a preventative measure for testicular torsion. I was told this is a low-risk operation and would likely eliminate any issues I am currently dealing with. However, I would like to avoid this at all costs and was wondering if there are any alternative methods I could try beforehand.

Please advise.

#

Bell Clapper deformity is congenital (since birth) but may have been noticed only now. In this, the testis is suspended at an abnormal angle and is more prone to torsion. The muscle around the testicles is oriented in an oblique manner and so when it contracts during exertion, it twists the testis. Normal testis will not rotate, but bell clapper types can rotate and pinch its own blood supply.

Fixing the testis is best, ideally on both sides. There is no conservative approach. I would suggest you go ahead with surgery.

Take care.

Do they actually cut the scrotum open for this surgery even though they will not have to untwist the cord? Also, what kind of recovery time am I realistically looking at? I was told that it would be a couple days and I would be able to return to work, then after a couple weeks, I would be back to all normal activities. However, I am reading online patients talking about excruciating pain and complications that last much longer.

#

Yes, the surgery is performed through the scrotal skin. It will be a small incision. Practically, we need to take a stitch on the surface of the testis and fix it to the inner aspect of the testicular covering. Recovery is expected in two to three days. You may have to avoid heavy exertion for two weeks. Persistent pain after surgery is rare.

|