Q. I was suggested orchidopexy for testicular torsion. Is there any alternative to this?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old male who was recently diagnosed with bell clapper deformity and intermittent testicular torsion. We are unsure if it was onset by trauma or supplement use. The current recommendation given to me by the doctors is to perform an Orchiopexy as a preventative measure for testicular torsion. I was told this is a low-risk operation and would likely eliminate any issues I am currently dealing with. However, I would like to avoid this at all costs and was wondering if there are any alternative methods I could try beforehand.

Please advise.



Welcome to

Bell Clapper deformity is congenital (since birth) but may have been noticed only now. In this, the testis is suspended at an abnormal angle and is more prone to torsion. The muscle around the testicles is oriented in an oblique manner and so when it contracts during exertion, it twists the testis. Normal testis will not rotate, but bell clapper types can rotate and pinch its own blood supply.

Fixing the testis is best, ideally on both sides. There is no conservative approach. I would suggest you go ahead with surgery.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Thank you doctor,

Do they actually cut the scrotum open for this surgery even though they will not have to untwist the cord? Also, what kind of recovery time am I realistically looking at? I was told that it would be a couple days and I would be able to return to work, then after a couple weeks, I would be back to all normal activities. However, I am reading online patients talking about excruciating pain and complications that last much longer.



Welcome back to

Yes, the surgery is performed through the scrotal skin. It will be a small incision. Practically, we need to take a stitch on the surface of the testis and fix it to the inner aspect of the testicular covering. Recovery is expected in two to three days. You may have to avoid heavy exertion for two weeks. Persistent pain after surgery is rare.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is orchiectomy necessary for testis torsion?

The other option is to put testicular prosthesis of the same size as opposite one ... I had torsion in the left testis ... If the left testis with long duration torsion...   Read full

My left testis has become very small after an episode of pain and swelling. What to do?

The episode you described was left side torsion of the testis because of which your left testis is destroyed ... Get the right testis fixed by orchidopexy, as your opposite testis is at high risk of a similar episode of ...   Read full

Can disc herniation cause testicular pain and make my testicles to retract?

The most important condition to exclude when a testicle becomes high-riding with associated pain would be testicular torsion (twisting and occlusion of blood supply to testicle) ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.