Last year, one tooth on the left side of my upper jaw was bulging, so a tooth abscess was formed. I felt an extremely high pressure in the area around the tooth, which eased somewhat when the tooth was drilled.
A few days later, when the toothache seemed to go away, the area above my teeth continued to hurt (I felt pressure from my teeth to my eyes) and a yellowish phlegm/mucus began to flow from my nose. A week later, when I told this to my dentist, she immediately suspected sinusitis but waited until the next treatment to prescribe the antibiotic. The symptoms eased but did not go away, so she prescribed a one-week course of antibiotics, which I finished successfully.
After the treatment, the pain was completely gone, however, the flow of yellow mucus in my left nasal cavity did not stop. Of course, the amount of mucus is not large, but now I am starting to suspect that maybe something else could be behind the case.
Do you think this was really sinusitis? If so, is it still going on, can I treat it myself? Should I see a doctor? Do you have any other advice?
Welcome to icliniq.com.
There is a high possibility that you have probably developed an oroantral fistula or you a dentigerous cyst. In both cases, there are typical discharge from both the nasal and oral cavity (even though the nasal discharge would be more than the discharge from the alveolar region).
Before we prescribe anything, I would advise you to get a non-contrast computed tomography of the nose and paranasal sinuses to ascertain what is the cause of the nasal discharge which has not resolved even after the treatment.
In the meanwhile, you can consider the following treatment.
1. Try wearing an N95 mask at all times, do not allow any dust or irritative substance from entering into your nose.
2. Tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol, Phenylephedrine HCl, and Chlorpheniramine maleate) one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.
3. Tablet Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.
4. Tablet Zerodol TH (Aceclofenac and Thiocolchicoside) 4 mg one tablet twice daily after food for five days.
5. Tablet Clarithromycin 500 mg one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.
6. Duonase nasal spray (Azelastine and Fluticasone) two puffs twice daily in both nostrils for three months (do not inhale while you spray the drug).
7. Tablet Mucomix (Acetylcysteine) 600 mg one tablet twice daily after food for 1 week.
8. Tablet Wysolone (Prednisolone) 10 mg one tablet after breakfast for 1 week.
9. Steam inhalations three to four times a day.
10. Salt water gargles at 8 to 10 times a day for one month.
11. Do not smoke or consume alcohol as it slows down mucociliary clearance mechanisms.
Please do let me know once the NCCT of nose and PNS has done.
I hope this helps.
Was this answer helpful?|
.. has post operative uveitis which happens in some patients after cataract surgery. The treatment is: 1. We try to find out any cause for recurrent inflammation. If there is no cause then we treat the inflammation. If there is some inciting factor ... Read fullHow to get quick relief from cold and nasal congestion?
.. gone through your query and can understand your concern. I suggest tablet Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) twice daily for five days. One tablet is to be taken in the morning and one at night after meals. Consult her doctor, discuss with him or her a... Read fullIs Prednicort a good medicine for arthritis pain?
.. is a steroid which is good as an anti-inflammatory and painkiller in arthritis but has very serious adverse effects in the long term such as osteoporosis, gastritis, hypertension, and elevated blood sugar levels. Is she diagnosed with rheumatoid ... Read full
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from severe allergy. I tried different medicines for this, but everything was useless. Please help. Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor,Since many years, I am facing a sinusitis problem. When I catch the flu, it gets worse. This time, I caught the flu twice this month. The sinustis got worse and I visited a doctor who prescribed me with a course of Fexet, Klaricid, and Ventek. He said that I need to take Ventek for thr... Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I have a runny nose and watery eyes. It is there for many years. It is like some allergy and I keep sneezing. When I take Montelukast tablets, it gets fine. But I do not like to take medicines every day. Read Full »
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now