Q. I get yellow mucus from the left nose post tooth drilling for abscess. Is this sinusitis?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2020

Last year, one tooth on the left side of my upper jaw was bulging, so a tooth abscess was formed. I felt an extremely high pressure in the area around the tooth, which eased somewhat when the tooth was drilled.

A few days later, when the toothache seemed to go away, the area above my teeth continued to hurt (I felt pressure from my teeth to my eyes) and a yellowish phlegm/mucus began to flow from my nose. A week later, when I told this to my dentist, she immediately suspected sinusitis but waited until the next treatment to prescribe the antibiotic. The symptoms eased but did not go away, so she prescribed a one-week course of antibiotics, which I finished successfully.

After the treatment, the pain was completely gone, however, the flow of yellow mucus in my left nasal cavity did not stop. Of course, the amount of mucus is not large, but now I am starting to suspect that maybe something else could be behind the case.

Do you think this was really sinusitis? If so, is it still going on, can I treat it myself? Should I see a doctor? Do you have any other advice?

#

There is a high possibility that you have probably developed an oroantral fistula or you a dentigerous cyst. In both cases, there are typical discharge from both the nasal and oral cavity (even though the nasal discharge would be more than the discharge from the alveolar region).

Before we prescribe anything, I would advise you to get a non-contrast computed tomography of the nose and paranasal sinuses to ascertain what is the cause of the nasal discharge which has not resolved even after the treatment.

In the meanwhile, you can consider the following treatment.

1. Try wearing an N95 mask at all times, do not allow any dust or irritative substance from entering into your nose.

2. Tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol, Phenylephedrine HCl, and Chlorpheniramine maleate) one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.

3. Tablet Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.

4. Tablet Zerodol TH (Aceclofenac and Thiocolchicoside) 4 mg one tablet twice daily after food for five days.

5. Tablet Clarithromycin 500 mg one tablet twice daily after food for 15 days.

6. Duonase nasal spray (Azelastine and Fluticasone) two puffs twice daily in both nostrils for three months (do not inhale while you spray the drug).

7. Tablet Mucomix (Acetylcysteine) 600 mg one tablet twice daily after food for 1 week.

8. Tablet Wysolone (Prednisolone) 10 mg one tablet after breakfast for 1 week.

9. Steam inhalations three to four times a day.

10. Salt water gargles at 8 to 10 times a day for one month.

11. Do not smoke or consume alcohol as it slows down mucociliary clearance mechanisms.

Please do let me know once the NCCT of nose and PNS has done.

|