Ototoxic Medications

How is hearing loss due to Amikacin injection treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the cause for the hearing loss confirmed? Have other causes been ruled out? How many doses of aminoglycosides have been taken? What is the severity of hearing loss? Does your father have any tinnitus or reeling sensation? What is the report of audiometry? Is your f...  Read Full »

My son has been prescribed Otomize spray for ear infection. Is it safe?

Query: Hello doctor,My son has an ear infection, with some discharge. Our local GP tested the discharge and found evidence of several bugs, prescribing Otomize ear spray (Neomycin, Dexamethasone, Acetic Acid). He wears hearing aids, and at his last audiology appointment (three months ago) there was evidenc...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is a perforation or even the slightest doubt of it, Neomycin in the optimize spray can enter the middle ear and pass through round window membrane and cause permanent damage to the inner ear and thereby sensorineural hearing loss. Hence that spray is best av...  Read Full »

Can using Neomycin during first month of pregnancy cause any defect in baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is currently on her sixth month of pregnancy. I am pretty much concerned about using Neomycin 0.5 % and Clobetasol 0.05 % ointment during the first month of our pregnancy. We had itching and burning sensation. We used approximately 4 g of ointment in total. She applied some oi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are possibilities of absorption per vaginally and I agree there are reports of ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity but as she is six months pregnant now and all scans are normal so there are no morphological anomalies in the child but as far as ear hearing abnormali...  Read Full »

Is tinnitus a side effect of AZO?

Query: Hello doctor, I began exhibiting symptoms that I would describe as tinnitus from a week. I get a loud noise or ringing in my left ear, although it also happens in the right ear. One fine day the tinnitus actually went to the other ear (my right ear), my tinnitus since then has not been focused in a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. While you have elaborated on your symptoms very meticulously, I still require some more details. Is there any hearing loss? Do you have any fullness of the ear? The tingling feeling, is it permanent? Do you have any giddiness? Any change of ear fullness or tin...  Read Full »