Q. Is it advisable to use Neomycin during first month of pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Neomycin Sulfate or Ototoxic Medications? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My wife is currently on her sixth month of pregnancy. I am pretty much concerned about using Neomycin 0.5 % and Clobetasol 0.05 % ointment during the first month of our pregnancy. We had itching and burning sensation. We used approximately 4 g of ointment in total. She applied some ointment over her inguinal area and me over head of penis and we also had intercourse after that. This happened two times. Would this have caused vaginal absorption of Neomycin and damaged the fetus? Or as it was the month of conception would it have damaged the sperms, egg or the fertilized egg?

I read some articles where topical Neomycin has caused ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity and reduced spermatogenesis in males. Should I have terminated the pregnancy earlier? Should I monitor the baby after birth for these toxicities? We did three scans so far dating scan, NT scan and anomaly scan which are normal.