Q. Is it advisable to use Neomycin during first month of pregnancy?

My wife is currently on her sixth month of pregnancy. I am pretty much concerned about using Neomycin 0.5 % and Clobetasol 0.05 % ointment during the first month of our pregnancy. We had itching and burning sensation. We used approximately 4 g of ointment in total. She applied some ointment over her inguinal area and me over head of penis and we also had intercourse after that. This happened two times. Would this have caused vaginal absorption of Neomycin and damaged the fetus? Or as it was the month of conception would it have damaged the sperms, egg or the fertilized egg?

I read some articles where topical Neomycin has caused ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity and reduced spermatogenesis in males. Should I have terminated the pregnancy earlier? Should I monitor the baby after birth for these toxicities? We did three scans so far dating scan, NT scan and anomaly scan which are normal.

#

There are possibilities of absorption per vaginally and I agree there are reports of ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity but as she is six months pregnant now and all scans are normal so there are no morphological anomalies in the child but as far as ear hearing abnormalities are concerned, that cannot be detected by scans.

Also, as on date after 20 weeks of gestation, pregnancy cannot be terminated by law unless gross abnormalities are evident in the foetus and permission would have to be sought by high court only.

|