Oxygen Therapy

What is the chance of pulmonary fibrosis in an older patient post COVID-19 recovery?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom got admitted to the hospital. Initially, she was fine, and her CT score was 7/20, and she started to deteriorate from that. She was on O2 support, and then she had CT severity 16/20 for COVID-19 pneumonia. I have attached the report. And then, she was on BiPAP for a week and slowl...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from COVID-19 pneumonia. She has done HRCT of the chest, and the report has revealed that multifocal patchy ground-glass opacities were noted involving peripheral and posterior segments ...  Read Full »

Please suggest the latest treatment for non-specific interstitial pneumonia.

Query: Hi doctor, For the past five years, I have been suffering from non-specific interstitial pneumonia. Initially, I used Deltacortril and Imuran for a year and then till now I am only using Imuran two tablets in the morning and one in the evening. While going to sleep, I use 1 L/min oxygen. I do like t...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. NSIP, non-specific interstitial pneumonia is a chronic disease of interstitial pneumonia. The treatment of disease runs long term. If you stop the treatment early, there is more chance of relapse and the disease will not be controlled with the same medicines. Coming t...  Read Full »

Why does my father keep having unconcious episodes?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 55 years old. He is good in terms of his health and weight. He recently had a large AVM rupture and he was flown to the nearest hospital. He had a craniotomy to remove AVM and the ICH caused a large stroke. He was left paralyzed on his right side with the capability to speak,...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. When the cortical damage is widespread, the consciousness is impaired. Your father has come out from the deep unconsciousness, he is recovering now. During recovery, this sort of episodes are common and gradually the frequency of this episode would come down. Other factor...  Read Full »

How is COPD treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full »

Is it advisable for a COPD patient to fly?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my father, 77 years old, is a patient of COPD. He is an ex-smoker for almost 40 years and has been suffering from a shortening of breath for the last few years but his situation got worse in the last year. He was prescribed with home Oxygen machine for at least 10...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing your query to me. I can understand your concern about your father. I have seen all the reports attached herewith (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Considering his general condition now, your concern of air travel is very important t...  Read Full »

How to manage bilateral pneumothorax and mediastinal emphysema?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a specialist in pulmonology. My wife has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. She is having a small rim of pneumothoraces bilaterally with subcutaneous disease and mediastinal emphysema. I am attaching here her medical test reports for review by a specialist who can su...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all CT scan reports and images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like this is a long-standing problem and it is progressing as well. But, unfortunately, there is no mention of the chief complaints of the patient and no p...  Read Full »

What is the best way to titre my oxygen level to combat Co2 retention?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel that I am a complicated case and I am trying to figure out the best way to titrate my oxygen treatment. I have late-stage cystic fibrosis, and I am experiencing a few months of exacerbation that has led to me needing oxygen full time. A few weeks ago I began, for the first time...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, that was a wonderful and well-detailed query. I will answer your query in parts. Regarding your insensitivity to low O2 saturation: Well, this is an expected development in long-standing lung problems. Continuous exposure to low oxygen levels over long time ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for inhaling drywall dust?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question in regards to pulmonology and exposure to crystalline silica. I have done a ton of research on the internet regarding this subject and probably know as much as anyone can know based solely on internet information. So I am hoping someone with a more advanced knowledge ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have surfed your links and understood your problem in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) After silica exposure you are suffering from what is called as acute silicosis. Acute silicosis results from short term exposure to very large am...  Read Full »

What is meconium aspiration syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter born 7 days back is suffering from meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS). I would like to know, how we measure her growth of lung capacity.  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Gunda

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In newborns measurement of lung capacity is not as useful as in adults. Important clinical signs of respiratory effort, respiratory rate and the x-rays that had showed the meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS) and also the general condition of baby. These are the importan...  Read Full »

What support should be given before onset of hypercapnia in a TB patient?

Query: Hello doctor,I have TB disease, type1 respiratory failure. Oxygen was given, oxygenation improves but falls to LVL on presentation. What support should be given before the onset of hypercapnia? I have dry cough for two weeks, blood in sputum, fever, sweating and weight loss.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, the patient has TB, hypoxia is more common which leads to type 1 respiratory failure. So only supplemental oxygen is not enough. We should start noninvasive ventilation as early as possible before hypercarbia sets in. So the possible options for NIV are ...  Read Full »