Oxygen Therapy

How is COPD treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full »

Is it advisable for a COPD patient to fly?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my father, 77 years old, is a patient of COPD. He is an ex-smoker for almost 40 years and has been suffering from a shortening of breath for the last few years but his situation got worse in the last year. He was prescribed with home Oxygen machine for at least 10...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing your query to me. I can understand your concern about your father. I have seen all the reports attached herewith (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Considering his general condition now, your concern of air travel is very important t...  Read Full »

How to manage bilateral pneumothorax and mediastinal emphysema?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a specialist in pulmonology. My wife has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. She is having a small rim of pneumothoraces bilaterally with subcutaneous disease and mediastinal emphysema. I am attaching here her medical test reports for review by a specialist who can su...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all CT scan reports and images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like this is a long-standing problem and it is progressing as well. But, unfortunately, there is no mention of the chief complaints of the patient and no p...  Read Full »

What is the best way to titre my oxygen level to combat Co2 retention?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel that I am a complicated case and I am trying to figure out the best way to titrate my oxygen treatment. I have late-stage cystic fibrosis, and I am experiencing a few months of exacerbation that has led to me needing oxygen full time. A few weeks ago I began, for the first time...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, that was a wonderful and well-detailed query. I will answer your query in parts. Regarding your insensitivity to low O2 saturation: Well, this is an expected development in long-standing lung problems. Continuous exposure to low oxygen levels over long time ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for inhaling drywall dust?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question in regards to pulmonology and exposure to crystalline silica. I have done a ton of research on the internet regarding this subject and probably know as much as anyone can know based solely on internet information. So I am hoping someone with a more advanced knowledge ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have surfed your links and understood your problem in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) After silica exposure you are suffering from what is called as acute silicosis. Acute silicosis results from short term exposure to very large am...  Read Full »

What is meconium aspiration syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter born 7 days back is suffering from meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS). I would like to know, how we measure her growth of lung capacity.  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Gunda

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In newborns measurement of lung capacity is not as useful as in adults. Important clinical signs of respiratory effort, respiratory rate and the x-rays that had showed the meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS) and also the general condition of baby. These are the importan...  Read Full »

What support should be given before onset of hypercapnia in a TB patient?

Query: Hello doctor,I have TB disease, type1 respiratory failure. Oxygen was given, oxygenation improves but falls to LVL on presentation. What support should be given before the onset of hypercapnia? I have dry cough for two weeks, blood in sputum, fever, sweating and weight loss.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, the patient has TB, hypoxia is more common which leads to type 1 respiratory failure. So only supplemental oxygen is not enough. We should start noninvasive ventilation as early as possible before hypercarbia sets in. So the possible options for NIV are ...  Read Full »

During oxygen therapy, is it necessary to check oxygen saturation?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it necessary to check oxygen saturation if the patient is on oxygen for shortness of breath?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said that patient needs oxygen for shortness of breath, it is absolutely not required to measure the oxygen saturation all the time. But, if dyspnea (shortness of breath) is due to COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) that is due to excessive smoking,...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to stop the feed when baby is under oxygen support for breathing problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is a preterm boy. His actual age is 7.5 months and corrected age is 4.5 months. Birth weight was 960 gm and his current weight is 5.60 kg, drinking man-pro around 100 ml, 5 to 6 times a day. Since last 10 days, he has also been started on semisolid food. He had breathing diffic...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your concern is whether oxygen was necessary. Whenever the baby is having wheezing and respiratory distress, giving Oxygen is necessary to avoid impending ventilation-perfusion mismatch. It is considered as supportive therapy even though the m...  Read Full »

Is there a permanent cure for pulmonary hypertension?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for past 15 years, which has now affected my whole body. Since one and a half year, I am getting shortness of breath and cough. Last year, when I was admitted in the hospital to get this treated, my doctor advised me to use external oxygen for long...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both rheumatoid arthritis and pulmonary hypertension are chronic diseases. As there is no permanent cure for it, the aim of treatment in such case is control of symptoms only. Medicines help only to control the symptoms. You are a known rheumatoid arthritis patient and no...  Read Full »