Q. My wife is having bilateral pneumothorax and mediastinal emphysema. Please suggest.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

I am looking for a specialist in pulmonology. My wife has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. She is having a small rim of pneumothoraces bilaterally with subcutaneous disease and mediastinal emphysema. I am attaching here her medical test reports for review by a specialist who can suggest a treatment to manage this condition.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I have gone through all CT scan reports and images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It looks like this is a long-standing problem and it is progressing as well. But, unfortunately, there is no mention of the chief complaints of the patient and no previous treatment details are available. Before we plan any treatment, it is very important to review previous medicines and see if there was an improvement or not.

As per CT scan, it looks like to be NSIP (nonspecific interstitial pneumonia), a chronic type of interstitial lung disease. Also, it is complicating as leakage of air surrounding the lungs and heart. It is very important to see what is the oxygenation status of the patient and other comorbidities.

The treatment of NSIP mainly consists of steroids as per the weight. If oxygen saturation is not maintained above 92% on room air, oxygen supplementation either by cylinder, concentrator or NIV (non-invasive ventilation) must be considered. So it is advisable to see a specialist pulmonologist near to you and take medicines and other required treatment under his observation as it has to be reviewed frequently according to the condition of the patient.

If the patient is suffering from any other comorbid autoimmune disease, it should be treated simultaneously. Then only the lung pathology will be under control.

I hope I have elaborated the treatment plan in detail for you.

Autoimmune ILD (interstitial lung disease).

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

NSIP (nonspecific interstitial pneumonia).

Steroids like tablet Medrol (Methylprednisolone) as per the weight of the patient. Supportive treatment as required. Oxygen supplementation.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What can happen with prolonged use of topical steroids?

Query: Hi doctor, Two years back I had the problem of ringworm on my upper leg near both side of testes and I used antifungal cream Betnovate C and Quadriderm. By using this cream my ringworm are gone but skin becomes very thin with rashes mark. Now there is no problem with ringworm but the skin looks very...  Read Full »

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now