Q. Is it possible to identify Parkinson's disease without any test?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2021

I am writing this is for my father. He is 74 years old. Now, he was diagnosed to have Parkinson’s disease. The doctor just examined and said that this is Parkinson's. Is it possible to identify without going for any tests? Will Parkinson lead to death? Is coffee better for Parkinson’s disease? Which type of foods are good and which are bad? What kind of treatment do we need to take? What lifestyle changes we need? If we take medicine, can we overcome the disease? Or still, will it progress? Please advice.

#

The diagnosis of Parkinson's disease is usually clinical diagnosis. In doubtful cases, a DOPA-PET scan of the brain can be considered.

Parkinson's disease does not cause death, but it can affect daily living to much extent and make patient dependent.

Yes, you can give coffee to him. There is no specific bad food for Parkinson's disease. He can eat as per his choices. But, if the doctor started on tablet Selegiline then avoid cheese, smoked fish, and broad beans.

Take treatment as per neurologist prescription. No specific lifestyle change is needed. He can do whatever he is able to do.

Medicines will help in doing daily activities with ease. But, that will not curtail disease process.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|