Q. Being a PCOS patient, how to have safe sex with my partner?

Dr. Mehta Rushabh Bharatkumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I am a 21-year-old female. I have a polycystic ovarian syndrome. Ever since 14 years right now I am taking medication such as Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) 10 mg x 5 doses OD if ever I would miss my menstruation since I have an irregular menstrual cycle. My problem is how to have safe sex with my partner? Which method should I use? Yes, we use condoms, but I do not want to use pills. Is there any other method like a calendar method I can use? Please help me.

#

The best option is low dose contraceptive pills it will help to regularise your periods. And also you will not require to use Provera (Mehydroxyprogestrone). Try to control weight by diet and exercise to prevent PCOS. Avoid oily and spicy foods and butter cheese, potatoes, high carbohydrate diets. Avoid smoke and alcohol. Try to do training for 40-45 minutes yoga or jogging or cycling or gym or swim or dance or aerobics after you get regular menses than you can use a safe method for 100 % effectiveness. The best time is the initial first eight days and at last nine days of a monthly cycle for contraceptive purpose.

|