Q. Should I continue the medicines for PCOS even after my periods get regular?

Dr. Ushasi Mukherjee
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2020

I was diagnosed with PCOS in January so my gynecologist prescribed me Ginette 35 for six months and Bonemac D3 for one month. But from March my periods are regular without taking medicines but there is sometimes slight pain in my lower abdomen and side abdomen. Should I continue medicines despite having normal and regular periods?

#

If you are having regular periods in terms of flow, duration and regularities and if you have already stopped taking Ginette since March, there is no need to resume its intake immediately unless you need contraception also at the same time or not wanting a pregnancy now. In that case, you need to use an alternative mode of contraception to avoid your pregnancy. Please attach your previous prescriptions blood test and ultrasound scan reports based upon which PCOS was diagnosed. Also, inform your height weight and whether there is excessive hair in the chin, upper lip, chest, and abdomen Follow up with reports again. Also, follow the lifestyle modifications described below.

Blood for serum fasting insulin levels. Blood for serum vitamin D3 levels. USG (ultrasound) TVS (transvaginal scan) if not done in the past three months.

Continue vitamin D.

Avoid junk food spicy and dip fried foods. Low carbohydrates, fat restricted, gluten-free diet is recommended. Regular brisk cardio excercise like walking jogging cycling swimming for at least 30 minutes a day is a must. Take frequent small meals.

|