Q. Should I continue the medicines for PCOS even after my periods get regular?

Dr. Ushasi Mukherjee
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2020

I was diagnosed with PCOS in January so my gynecologist prescribed me Ginette 35 for six months and Bonemac D3 for one month. But from March my periods are regular without taking medicines but there is sometimes slight pain in my lower abdomen and side abdomen. Should I continue medicines despite having normal and regular periods?

#

If you are having regular periods in terms of flow, duration and regularities and if you have already stopped taking Ginette since March, there is no need to resume its intake immediately unless you need contraception also at the same time or not wanting a pregnancy now. In that case, you need to use an alternative mode of contraception to avoid your pregnancy. Please attach your previous prescriptions blood test and ultrasound scan reports based upon which PCOS was diagnosed. Also, inform your height weight and whether there is excessive hair in the chin, upper lip, chest, and abdomen Follow up with reports again. Also, follow the lifestyle modifications described below.

Blood for serum fasting insulin levels. Blood for serum vitamin D3 levels. USG (ultrasound) TVS (transvaginal scan) if not done in the past three months.

Continue vitamin D.

Avoid junk food spicy and dip fried foods. Low carbohydrates, fat restricted, gluten-free diet is recommended. Regular brisk cardio excercise like walking jogging cycling swimming for at least 30 minutes a day is a must. Take frequent small meals.

| 

My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and taking Asmita. Can pregnancy be continued?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife had irregular periods. We consulted a gynecologist and she suggested starting Asmita tablet for 21 days and Oosure tablet for a month. We started medication from mid of last month. Now, ultrasound says that she is 8 weeks pregnant. My question is can she continue the pregna...  Read Full »

Will I be able to conceive naturally with PCOS?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I got married before 1.5 years. I have PCOS since I was young. I remember that I had various types of medication as I did not get my periods regularly in the initial stages. My mother had taken me to many doctors, including ayurveda, homeopathy and allopathy. Before 4 y...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»