Perichondritis

What does it mean to have a sudden notch in the external ear with increased ear pressure?

Query: Hello doctor, A strange notch appeared in both the outer ears today. The notch seems to be firm, and it is not caused by mask use. It does not appear to be subsiding. I am experiencing high pressure in my ears. My doctor said that I might have immune system issues. But, tests have not been conduc...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a dent in the middle of the outer cartilage. According to the pictures provided here, you may suffer from perichondritis, which is the infection of t...  Read Full »

What treatment can be had for external ear lobe swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, My 18-year-old brother-in-law who weighs 30 kg is bedridden since birth. He is a disabled child and he cannot do anything on his own. He cannot even talk and he only takes liquid food. He is generally healthy apart from his disability. Today, his external ear lobe suddenly swell in th...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. His pinna has developed perichondritis that is an infection of the ear pinna cartilage. Is the swelling painful? This swelling needs drainage from an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. I suggest you can start him on anti-inflammatory enzymes and antibiotics n...  Read Full »