Login      Sign Up

Q. What treatment can be had for external ear lobe swelling?


Hello doctor,

My 18-year-old brother-in-law who weighs 30 kg is bedridden since birth. He is a disabled child and he cannot do anything on his own. He cannot even talk and he only takes liquid food. He is generally healthy apart from his disability. Today, his external ear lobe suddenly swell in the upper part. Kindly advise as to what can be done in this case.

Related Questions:
I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?
Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?
Can I follow physiotherapy to cure AVS?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Diabetology, Otolaryngology (E.N.T


Welcome to icliniq.com.

His pinna has developed perichondritis that is an infection of the ear pinna cartilage.

Is the swelling painful?

This swelling needs drainage from an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist.

I suggest you can start him on anti-inflammatory enzymes and antibiotics now. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Meet an ENT specialist personally. Without draining, the swelling will not subside and it will cause necrosis of the cartilage.

For more information consult an ENT Otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

I have a swollen red painful bump in my butt. Kindly help.
Query: Hello doctor, A week ago I woke up with a very bad pain in my butt. I have a swollen red painful bump. I think I have hemorrhoid based on reading online symptoms. I tried preparation H cream and supposters, tuck pads, Cortisone cream, Aloe Vera gel but the pain did not go away. I cannot even pee. I...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like an evolving perianal abscess than hemorrhoid (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to get clinically examined by a nearby surgeon to assess if it needs drainage. An ultrasound scan of perineum will help to rule out the underlying absce...  Read Full »
What drugs can help in healing avascular necrosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male and I have pain in hip joints for more than three months. Reports indicate avascular necrosis stage 2. Pain is mostly in the right hip joint. Pain will appear only when I put extra stress on muscles. The doctor has recommended me core decompression and he cannot...  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) You have avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Most of the surgeons will ask you to get operated for a core decompression or total hip replacement for this but studies have shown...  Read Full »
I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Dolo 650 MG Tablet - Uses | Dosage | Side Effects | Drug Warnings and Precautions
Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ab ...Read more »
I had vaginal bleeding after passage of big clot. What is it?
Hello doctor, My period came on the first of last month. 22 days later, my breasts were hurting. I was cramping but the ...Read more »
I have pain in neck, hand, and weakness due to degenerative changes. Please help.
Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with the degenerative changes in the cervical and many more things. I am attaching the MRI ...Read more »

Also Read Answers From