Q. Fever with low WBC count. Could Eptoin be the cause?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on May 14, 2019

My niece got a fever for the past eight days. Also, low WBC count. The doctors tried all the tests, antibiotics and medicines, but still, the fever is not controlled. She got fits 15 days back and the doctors prescribed Eptoin tablets. My question is whether Eptoin reduce the white blood cell counts?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that Eptoin (Phenytoin) is a drug used to treat or prevent seizures. It does not usually affect WBC, but very rarely (like all the drugs) it can cause suppression of the blood cell formation in the bone marrow. The low WBC count can be related to different possible causes like viral disease, an autoimmune disorder, drug adverse effects, etc. A myelogram may be needed to exclude a possible hematological disorder. In the meantime, I recommend taking Eptoin, as it is well known that high fever can lead to seizures. I would also recommend taking steroids, because they can increase WBC and also help fight the fever.

My little child has fever and low WBC count. Can it be dengue fever?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3 years and 6 months old daughter was suffering from a fever of about 100 to 102 for the past three days. She had rashes throughout her whole body. We had blood tests performed and the results were negative for dengue. But, the WBC and the platelet count reduced gradually in the las...  Read Full >>

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can happen in a viral fever also. But it is always better to repeat the test after 48 hours to make sure about the WBC (white blood cell) count and the platelet count status. There are other dengue-like viruses where dengue test comes negative b...  Read Full

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

What could be the reason for my high Phenytoin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on Phenytoin (Dilantin) 300 mg or 350 mg every alternate days for 4 years and 250 mg and 500 mg Levetiracetam in the morning and evening respectively. I was diagnosed with generalized seizure before 8 years. Then, I had one seizure before 4 years. I am seizure free for up to 4 year...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your question. Phenytoin level of 140 is really high. In our practice, in such a scenario, we do correlate the laboratory test result with the clinical picture. When the level is really 140, the patient cannot stand steady. He will have a severe imbalance wh...  Read Full