Q. My little child has fever and low WBC count. Can it be dengue fever?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Published on Nov 16, 2017

My 3 years and 6 months old daughter was suffering from a fever of about 100 to 102 for the past three days. She had rashes throughout her whole body. We had blood tests performed and the results were negative for dengue. But, the WBC and the platelet count reduced gradually in the last two days. Today, her WBC count is 3500 cells/cubic millimeter and her platelet count was 1,30,000 cells/cubic millimeter. She is having normal regular activities. What could be the reason for the reduction in her WBC and her platelet count? I need your help.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• This can happen in a viral fever also. But it is always better to repeat the test after 48 hours to make sure about the WBC (white blood cell) count and the platelet count status.
  • Give her lots of water. Kindly repeat the blood counts as they are low.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red r...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be dengue or any other viral infection. The presentation of all viral fevers is almost same. And any viral infection can cause low platelets count, and dengue is known for it. During the first 4 to 5 days of fever, dengue NS1 antigen will be positive,...  Read Full

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it. Various rumors and false treatment claims are frequently being shared on the social media sites, which do more harm than good. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

1. What is dengue fever? It is a mosquito-borne viral illness which belongs to flavivirus genus. It is usually a self-limiting disease which may manifest as asymptomatic (without any symptoms) to severe dengue. 2. Can dengue fever recur? Dengue fever has got four serotypes DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3, an...  Read Article

What is the cause for low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with a headache can occur in viral infection. Viral infection can affect the platelet count and can lead to low platelet count. Symptomatic management is done with Paracetamol and maintain your hydration. Your peripheral smear examination, a liver profile is a...  Read Full