Q. What are the negative effects of Pityriasis rosea in pregnancy?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am a GP. I have seen my GP and he thinks I have Pityriasis rosea. I am 30 weeks pregnant and have had Pityriasis rosea as a child. My rash is currently scaly and in lines over my abdomen. My concern is about the adverse effects of this condition in pregnancy. It is hard to ascertain if this is applicable at later gestation or just in early pregnancy.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• It is one of the proposed theories that Pityriasis rosea could be an exanthema secondary to HHV 6 and 7 (human herpes virus) virus infection.
  • Most of the data available regarding PR in pregnancy is about the first trimester of pregnancy wherein HHV 6 and7 infections are known to increase the rates of miscarriages as they mimic CMV infection (cytomegalovirus).
  • However, the fetal organ production ends by the 18th week and any infection beyond this period does not lead to any serious effect on it.
  • HHV infections beyond this time may affect the birth weight of the baby to some extent, but would not result in any significant complications.
  • Moreover, the proposed rates of transmission to the fetus from the mother are very very low, putting you at almost negligible risk. You can rest your fears.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why do I have skin lesions on the hands and back?

Query: Hello doctor, There are skin lesions in a 29 year old female who happened to be healthy before. The lesions started to appear two weeks ago. It has now increased on hands, back and foot. There is no itching associated with it. Please help.  Read Full »

I have a rash that is progressively getting worse. Can you help me identify it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a rash for the past two weeks. It is getting progressively worse. It does not itch or hurt, but it is spreading. It started on my stomach. Now, it is on both arms, neck, back, and upper legs. The red dots that have been there for two weeks are larger now than they were origi...  Read Full »

Why do I have red spots of dry and irritated skin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have red spots of dry and irritated skin on the arms, shoulders, and leg, just below the waistline. Minor itchiness comes and goes. I am using Neosporin for about a week, but they are still there. I am attaching a picture of these red spots.  Read Full »