Q. Do 62 % of pregnant women with pityriasis rosea have a miscarriage?

Dr. Hari Pathave
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2020

I have had pityriasis rosea (PR) for about a week and I am currently 7 weeks pregnant. I have had no other symptoms other than the rash. After reading a study which found a 62% miscarriage rate when women were infected with PR during the first 15 weeks of gestation, I am obviously terrified. Can you provide me with any reassurance or advice on any testing/treatment that may be required. Thanks,

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thank you for giving me opportunity to treat your skin problem. Yes, you are right there are significant chances of miscarriage if Pityriasis Rosea appears in first few weeks of gestation. Mostly miscarriage occurs when Pityriasis Rosea happens after HSV 6 & HSV 7 infection (according to literature). There are also other causes of Pityriasis rosea other than HSV6 & HSV7, Like some drugs (Medicines), Vaccination, other viruses. So, First if possible provide me photographs of affected areas of skin which will help me for better diagnosis and proper plan. Does you had fever or Joints pain few days back? For Viral infection (HSV 6 & 7) you can go for serum Ig M, Nested or RT PCR and viral load, also pregnancy outcomes depends on Body surface area involvement and Constitutional symptoms. Final decision about to continue pregnancy is yours. You also consult with your Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist for the same. Thank you.

|