Q. I am 4 months pregnant with hyperthyroidism. Is PTU good for me during pregnancy?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2020

I am 26 years old. I have a problem with hyperthyroidism during my pregnancy. I am in my fourth month of pregnancy with TSH- 0.07, T4- 161, T3- 2.34. What are the complications with this? Is it good for me to take PTU.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy is usually treated with Propylthiouracil 50-100 mg/day. Generally, treatment is withdrawn four weeks prior to delivery after which normal doses may be resumed. Your hormone levels are still very high, you need to increase your dose.

Pregnancies complicated by uncontrolled hyperthyroidism may result in higher incidences of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), preterm labor, low birth-weight babies, or stillbirths. Complications of pregnancy, including pre-eclampsia (a condition associated with hypertension, low blood platelet count, protein in the urine, and mental changes) may also occur. So please increase your dosage.

Another thing I want to highlight is that you should do TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) receptor antibodies and to see what is the cause of your hyperthyroidism. Is it Graves’ disease. These antibodies can enter from the mother's blood to the baby's blood and stimulate the baby's thyroid gland. These antibodies should be measured in the mother during her second trimester of pregnancy because the values that are greater than five times normal have been associated with hyperthyroidism in the baby at birth.

| 

How can hyperthyroidism be effectively treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old man. I have suffered from hyperthyroidism for more than 20 years. I have been to many doctors but I have not got any long-term benefits. They gave me Methimazole, Propranolol, and Cyproheptadine for a while. I put on weight for a while but became skinny again. I nee...  Read Full »

My TSH levels was normal before five months and it is quite high now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Before five years, I was tested for thyroid. The result was TSH at 3.45. Five months later, my symptoms were getting worse, and my doctor rechecked me after five months TSH was 7.40, and free T4 was 0.9. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain my weight gain, hair los...  Read Full »

Is there any alternate for medicine for hypothyroid condition?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before I found that I have thyroid with high TSH 18. Then I put off some weight and did morning walk and running, then it decreases to 14. Now I left the exercise because I met with an accident. Now I have done my test again it was 18 again. Now I consulted the doctor but ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now