Q. I am a G6PD deficient what are the chances of me getting pregnant?

Dr. Deepthi

I have G6PD deficiency since childhood. Presently I am married. And soon planning to conceive. Will I have any complications in the future? How much and till what extent? Is it true that I can never become a mother if I have G6PD? Are there chances or percentage of having a healthy child?

#

Yes, G6PD deficiency certainly has effects on pregnancy. It is an X-linked recessive disorder, male babies may be affected and female babies may be carriers. Chances of inheritance vary with your partner karyotype also. The severity of symptoms varies depends on your lifestyle and food intake.

Complications are anemia, jaundice, urinary tract infections, preeclampsia (raised blood pressure, loss of protein in your body), spontaneous miscarriage, low birth weight, fetal anemia, infections, and newborn jaundice.

Avoid infections, soya beans, and stress, avoid Aspirin and unnecessary drugs. Maintain a healthy lifestyle

iron rich and protein-rich diet,

iron supplements and folic acid tablets daily.

|