Q. How to manage my mother's plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

My mother, who is 50, is suffering from plantar fasciitis. She lives in a remote area and so, regular physical and ESWT therapy is not feasible. I am planning to buy a portable ESWT device. Will this be helpful and feasible to use them at home without any assistance? Is there any side effect associated with these portable devices? Please advise.

#

• Plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of foot tissue, can be reduced by decrease weight bearing, by wearing different footwear and by physiotherapy.
  • TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) will not be an effective one. You need to take ultrasound therapy with analgesic cream use and it will be more effective.
  • TENS therapy is only temporary and will not give a problem solving approach. Even though it will not give any side effect, there will not be a benefit too.
  • So, kindly take ultrasound therapy, which is essentially needed for 15 days and the protocol is 1 MHz and 1.5 W/sq cm for 10 minutes daily.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

What is the cause of shoulder pain and how to treat it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a track athlete and yesterday in training I did some bench press, short sprints, push-ups and core work. I warmed down and stretched. I woke up this morning with pain in my right shoulder and halfway through the day, this pain is getting worse. What is a possible cause of this and ...  Read Full »

My kid cannot poop. What can I give her?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2 year old female child who is struggling to have a bowel movement. She struggles and tenses up so hard to pass stools. Is there something that can be given to overcome this?  Read Full »

Is Amitriptyline better for tension-type headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a mild balance problem while walking, a month and a half back. I did not have vomiting or nausea. I was put on Betahistine and B-Citam for 30 days, which cured 99 % of my balance problem. But, I felt dizzy the whole day. I also have a mild difficulty in swallowing, so I consulted a ...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Physiotherapist Now