Q. How to manage my mother's plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani
Published on Nov 01, 2016

My mother, who is 50, is suffering from plantar fasciitis. She lives in a remote area and so, regular physical and ESWT therapy is not feasible. I am planning to buy a portable ESWT device. Will this be helpful and feasible to use them at home without any assistance? Is there any side effect associated with these portable devices? Please advise.

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

Fitness Expert Physiotherapy
#

• Plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of foot tissue, can be reduced by decrease weight bearing, by wearing different footwear and by physiotherapy.
  • TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) will not be an effective one. You need to take ultrasound therapy with analgesic cream use and it will be more effective.
  • TENS therapy is only temporary and will not give a problem solving approach. Even though it will not give any side effect, there will not be a benefit too.
  • So, kindly take ultrasound therapy, which is essentially needed for 15 days and the protocol is 1 MHz and 1.5 W/sq cm for 10 minutes daily.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

What is the cause of shoulder pain and how to treat it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a track athlete and yesterday in training I did some bench press, short sprints, push-ups and core work. I warmed down and stretched. I woke up this morning with pain in my right shoulder and halfway through the day, this pain is getting worse. What is a possible cause of this and ...  Read Full »

My kid cannot poop. What can I give her?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2 year old female child who is struggling to have a bowel movement. She struggles and tenses up so hard to pass stools. Is there something that can be given to overcome this?  Read Full »

Is Amitriptyline better for tension-type headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a mild balance problem while walking, a month and a half back. I did not have vomiting or nausea. I was put on Betahistine and B-Citam for 30 days, which cured 99 % of my balance problem. But, I felt dizzy the whole day. I also have a mild difficulty in swallowing, so I consulted a ...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now