Q. Is Amitriptyline better for tension-type headaches?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a mild balance problem while walking, a month and a half back. I did not have vomiting or nausea. I was put on Betahistine and B-Citam for 30 days, which cured 99 % of my balance problem. But, I felt dizzy the whole day. I also have a mild difficulty in swallowing, so I consulted a neurologist. He gave me Stugeron and Betahistine 24 mg, for 20 days. Today after 20 days, 90 % dizziness is gone, and I do not have the balance problem. But I still feel little dizzy, and I have tension-type headaches over my scalp. I am not taking any medicines for this headaches.

Please suggest some medicine for TTH. The doctor gave me Flunarizine and Propylamine hydrochloride, but I still have the balance problem. All my other blood reports are normal. My hemoglobin, lipid, troponin, fibrinogen, MRI, and angiography are all normal. What should I do? Should I continue my prescribed medicines? Is Amitriptyline better for TTH? Please help.

#

I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns.

While considering your symptoms in totality and reviewing diagnosis made by other doctors in the past, I feel a fair trial of low dose Amitriptyline should be given. Most of my patients with similar presenting complaints, report good improvement in tension-type headaches and vertigo to 25 mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime.

It is not possible to say which medicine is better without personally seeing the patient, but I think Amitriptyline will make a better option.

At the same time, I am of the opinion that a single medicine for vertigo should be tried first before trying multiple medications. As I can see in your description, you are taking both Cinnarizine (Stugeron) and Betahistine. In my opinion, removing Stugeron should help you in decreasing the dizziness.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|