Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ability to reduce fever and pain, it is called an antipyretic and analgesic agent. The antipyretic action is achieved by inhibiting the production of prostaglandin and by increasing the loss of heat from the body. This tablet inhibits the signals of pain that are sent to the brain, as a result, the pain experienced by the person is reduced after taking it.
Dolo 650 contains Paracetamol (Acetaminophen), which belongs to the Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) group of medicines. NSAIDs are typically used to reduce fever, inflammation, and pain. But, It is not very effective in reducing inflammation.
It is considered to be the safest drug and the first line of treatment for fever, as the side effects are very rare. It is the most easily available over the counter drug.
It is mainly used to reduce fever (antipyretic) and pain (analgesic). It can be used during mild pain like a headache, muscular pain, dental pain, joint pain, menstrual cramps etc.
Paracetamol reduces the fever by increasing the heat loss from the body and it reduces pain by inhibiting certain chemicals in the body. So, if the fever and pain are caused due to an underlying disease or condition, it will only give temporary relief. The underlying condition has to be diagnosed and treated for complete cure.
Normally, the dosage is calculated by the weight and age of the patient by the physician. So, the dosage varies from person to person. But, the recommended dosage is 500 to 1000 mg every 4 to 6 hours for adults, until the symptoms last. Maximum dosage is 4000 mg per day. There is no side effect on missing a dose, so you can take the next dose whenever you remember.
For kids, the dosage is calculated by their weight. The recommended dosage is 15 mg of Paracetamol per kilogram of the child’s weight. For example, if the kid weighs 15 kilograms, then the dosage will be 225 mg once every 6 hours.
Like all other drugs, there are few things that one needs to consider before taking this tablet. Inform the physician if you have any of the following conditions:
1. Liver disease – As this tablet gets metabolized in the liver, it is not advisable to take it if you have a pre-existing liver condition.
2. Alcohol consumption - Alcohol consumption should be avoided while on the tablet. It can cause liver damage, which might be life-threatening.
3. Kidney disease – If you have impaired kidney function, it is not advisable to take painkillers, as it will worsen the condition.
4. Pregnancy – It is considered relatively safe in pregnancy, but should be taken under medical supervision.
5. Breastfeeding – It is usually safe to take Paracetamol during breastfeeding, but it is important to tell your physician if you are breastfeeding.
6. Allergy – An allergic reaction is very rare, but if you are allergic to Paracetamol, then avoid taking Dolo 650.
7. Other drugs – This medicine interacts with drugs like Sodium nitrate, Phenytoin, Leflunomide, Prilocaine, Warfarin, and Carbamazepine in the body and might cause some side effects. So, inform your physician if you are on any other medication.
No serious side effects have been seen with the use of Paracetamol if taken under the recommended dosage. Indiscriminate and long-term use of Dolo 650 might cause the following side effects:
Paracetamol, if taken higher than the recommended dosage in a short period of time results in paracetamol poisoning or toxicity. Paracetamol poisoning is a serious condition and it requires immediate medical attention. Paracetamol toxicity presents itself in three stages. Usually, there are no definitive symptoms in the first 24 hours after the overdose, which is the first stage of poisoning.
In the second stage, which lasts from 24 to 78 hrs after the overdose, the patient may present with the following symptoms:
If left untreated, during the third stage, it may lead to damaged liver function, reduced kidney function, multiple organ failure, brain damage, and ultimately death. The third stage lasts from the third to the fifth day.
N-Acetylcysteine is used in the treatment of Paracetamol poisoning. It can be used up to 24 hours after the overdose, but it works best if given within 8 hours.
Other drugs that have the same composition are:
1. Tablet P 650.
2. Tablet Calpol 650.
3. Tablet Crocin 650
4. Tablet Algina 650.
5. Tablet Pacimol 650.
6. Tablet Paracip 650.
Only taking Paracetamol might not cure your illness completely, so it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking this or any other tablet. For severe pain, Paracetamol is given in combination with Caffeine, as it increases its pain-relieving capacity. As it interacts with other drugs and causes some side effects, it is always safe to get the doctor’s opinion before taking Dolo 650.Last reviewed at: 27.Feb.2019