Q. What can be done for plantar wart other than freezing?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I have been getting treatment for a plantar wart for a year now. Freezing it every two weeks at the clinic and then scraping the skin at home three times a week. However, I am still not getting rid of it. I have read that the treatment usually works way faster than that.

#

Plantar warts are hard to treat. Unfortunately, that is the truth. Because feet are always under friction and the skin is very thick compared to body skin. Treatment modalities are cryotherapy which you are undergoing, electrocautery removal procedure depends on the size of wart and depth. If the wart is big, it will leave a big open wound that may take months to heal. Topical application of Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) 100 %, needs more session similar to cryotherapy. Immunotherapy- Intralesional injection of MMR vaccine, BCG vaccine, candida antigen, autoinoculation of the wart. Topical application of Diphenylcyclopropenone. Intralesional injection of Bleomycin.

Please discuss these treatment options with your Dermatologist. Response to the treatment is also dependent on the body's immunity. A multivitamin supplement will be helpful.

| 

How can I stop nosebleeds and discomfort due to pollen allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem with my allergies. I believe I am allergic to pollen and I have these allergies all year long. I am always snuffing, wiping, started to have nose bleeds recently. I tried every over the counter allergy pill and spray and nothing gives me release. What should I do? Is ...  Read Full »

Is Retino-A effective for cystic acne scar?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffered from cystic acne. I used Clindamycin and Epiduo gel. It cleared my acne, but left black and red marks. I have attached the pictures. Which type of scar is this? Is there any topical cream to remove the marks? Is a chemical peel or Retino A effective for this? I also have some h...  Read Full »

I have a painful white bump on my foot. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a white bump on my right foot causing pain and stiffness. I am confused whether it is an abscess or ulcer. I have applied antibiotics ointment and taken some antibiotic tablets as well.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»