Plate Fixation

Please suggest the best-recommended treatment for femur fracture.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a double fracture in the femur following an accident. In 24 hours, I got intramedullary nail insertion. But, it did not heal even after seven months. I have started walking on leg before a month to induce self heal, but nothing happened. Either bone graft or plate and nails, which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This will not heal and so no point in waiting for it to heal. You need to get this intramedullary nail removed. The following treatment has to be done. Get the fracture site open, remove the fibrous tissue, get bleeding fracture surfaces and apply a plate and cerclage wi...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for shoulder dislocation and fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, I wish to know if a surgery is needed for shoulder dislocation-cum-fracture. The patient is already undergoing treatment for arthritis and depression. So, will there be complications if put on anesthesia?  Read Full »

Dr. Melvin J George

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that the dislocation has been reduced and she is planned for surgery. I need to know about the status of the fracture, whether it is displaced or not and the exact location of the fracture. Can you share with me the X-ray image, so that I can answer you to...  Read Full »

Why does my skin surrounding the surgery area look black and dead?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 57 year old female. I am 4.3 feet tall. I underwent a leg surgery 11 months back. The surgical wound has been infected three times already with pus discharge. After cleaning the discharge, a small area remains unhealed, and the implants fixed during surgery can be still seen throu...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly post the images of the affected leg and the infected wound after the surgery. I will be able to comment only after seeing the photos. Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/o...  Read Full »

Accidentally, had a hit in my fractured arm. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a plate in my right ulna from a previous injury. I have had one plate snap on me and had to have it replaced last month. It was a hard heal. As there was a 3 mm gap between both sides of the ulna, they decided to put synthetic bone graft around it. Tonight, I accidentally had a hit...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no doubt that x-rays of the affected forearm should be done in both AP (anteroposterior) and lateral views to rule out any bony crack especially at the plate ends as these are potential areas of stresses. Until that time, my advice will be to start with ice pa...  Read Full »

I got splint for ankle fracture. Is this the best treatment for my injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 48 year old male. I had an x-ray of my right ankle. The technique used was three view exam. The findings are as follows: Spiral fracture of the distal fibula. This is anatomic in alignment. Cortical avulsion of the medial malleolar process. The cortex of the malleolus at the delto...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I believe that surgery for plating of the fibula would have been an option I would seriously consider (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can still consider this option if another check x-ray shows that the talus is displaced when in a dorsiflexed positi...  Read Full »