Platelet Count

Why does my son have a continuous fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 15 years old, is suffering from fever. He has constant 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit of fever with throat pain for the last 15 days. Blood tests indicate negative for malaria and typhoid.  We consulted an ENT specialist and he indicated tonsillitis. My son is taking Movac...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be helpful if you do a CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein). From that we can understand the level of infection. Also, tonsillitis can also be so severe that it may last for up to 10 days. Betadine gargle three times a day with warm water fo...  Read Full »

How to get rid of fever, body pain, and headache?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past four days, I have body ache, headache and 102 degrees Fahrenheit fever. I am taking Augmentin 375 thrice a day and Paracetamol every three to four hours. Fever comes down to 100, but again increases to 102 once the effect of Paracetamol gets over. I feel so weak. Please sugg...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are having fever for three to four days and not having any improvement, then do one blood test CBC with MP (complete blood count with metabolic panel) and one urine routine test. From history it looks like you have viral fever. If the platelet count is low in...  Read Full »

Why is my wife bleeding from the anus after abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How reliable were those blood tests? If those were reliable, then there is no need to worry for bleeding from two sites. Otherwise, repeat it from a good place. Secondly, just start any birth control pill from today as it will lessen the bleeding. I suggest Laxit plus...  Read Full »

Is low platelet count a symptom of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has nagging dry cough for about one month. Our physician has doubted it as allergic bronchitis and the x-ray also justifies the same. As per today, his platelet count is 125000. Is there anything to worry? Or is this a sign of dengue? Myself and my brother have just recovered f...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For dengue, the first and the foremost thing to be present is fever. Dengue is not diagnosed only on the basis of platelet count. Also, mild thrombocytopenia (low platelet) is common in older adults. All you have to check is the trend of platelet count ...  Read Full »

Do WBC antibodies in blood of a male indicate cancer condition?

Query: Hello doctor, I was accustomed to donating platelets in the blood bank. Recently, I received a letter stating I am no longer eligible to donate platelets anymore. I can donate whole blood and double red cells only. They said the reason is that I have white blood cell antibodies which can occur in r...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: I can assure you that there is no cancer or even suspicion of that. Any patient with suspected cancer or with cancer, unless completely cured, will not be asked to donate any component. You are still eligible to donate who...  Read Full »

What is the safe platelet count for surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 73 year old male and scheduled for a co-surgery. Da Vinci prostatectomy for PC and double hernia repair with patches. My platelet count is 92 x 10^3 per microliter. I have had this for over 17 years. I had a bone marrow biopsy before 16 years and also, had a recent one before 3 y...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, this platelet count is acceptable for all major procedures, except involving the central nervous system. No problem should occur during surgery with this platelet count. However, if doubtful, then can go for extra platel...  Read Full »

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: A count of 40000 is not high enough to think of leukemia on an immediate basis and leukemoid. The standard definition says count should be more than 50000 and should be caused by reactive causes outside the bone marrow. If y...  Read Full »

Can unexplained bruising be due to blood cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing some unexplained bruising for a few weeks. Also, last week I had a few pin point red dots on the side of my back which went away in about two days. This past week I discovered some more of the cluster of red dots on the back of my thigh, which turned into a big b...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are not suggestive of any blood cancer or other form of cancer. For repeated bruise and attached photo of lesion (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have to investigate as follows: Liver profile reports to check liver pathology. CBC t...  Read Full »

Why is the platelet count increasing in a high blood pressure patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old, female. I have high blood pressure problem from the last one month (silent BP) and my kidneys are damaging beacuse of this and my platelet count is 12 lakhs. These are continuously increasing from the last eight months, that is 6 lakhs, 8 lakhs, 11 lakhs and now 12 lak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hypertension is multi-systemic disease and can affect many organs in our body including kidney as well. So hypertension need to be controlled with medication. Kindly attach your kidney reports so that I can look how much damages have occured. Your platelet count ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having high fasting blood glucose level?

Query: Hello doctor,My MPV has been high with a range of 12.1 to 13.9 and my platelets have ranged from 128 to 173 for the past four years. The most recent is MPV of 13.9 and platelets of 157. I also had a high fasting blood glucose this time of 109. This is the first time that I have had a fasting glucose...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I must compliment you for the excellent spreadsheet of your laboratory results. Regarding your CBC, we look at all three lines, Hb, WBC, and platelet count. A little variation individual to individual basis and with age is common. I can see that you are pretty young. A...  Read Full »