Platelet Count

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: A count of 40000 is not high enough to think of leukemia on an immediate basis and leukemoid. The standard definition says count should be more than 50000 and should be caused by reactive causes outside the bone marrow. If y...  Read Full »

Can unexplained bruising be due to blood cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing some unexplained bruising for a few weeks. Also, last week I had a few pin point red dots on the side of my back which went away in about two days. This past week I discovered some more of the cluster of red dots on the back of my thigh, which turned into a big b...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are not suggestive of any blood cancer or other form of cancer. For repeated bruise and attached photo of lesion (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have to investigate as follows: Liver profile reports to check liver pathology. CBC t...  Read Full »

Why is the platelet count increasing in a high blood pressure patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old, female. I have high blood pressure problem from the last one month (silent BP) and my kidneys are damaging beacuse of this and my platelet count is 12 lakhs. These are continuously increasing from the last eight months, that is 6 lakhs, 8 lakhs, 11 lakhs and now 12 lak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hypertension is multi-systemic disease and can affect many organs in our body including kidney as well. So hypertension need to be controlled with medication. Kindly attach your kidney reports so that I can look how much damages have occured. Your platelet count ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having high fasting blood glucose level?

Query: Hello doctor,My MPV has been high with a range of 12.1 to 13.9 and my platelets have ranged from 128 to 173 for the past four years. The most recent is MPV of 13.9 and platelets of 157. I also had a high fasting blood glucose this time of 109. This is the first time that I have had a fasting glucose...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I must compliment you for the excellent spreadsheet of your laboratory results. Regarding your CBC, we look at all three lines, Hb, WBC, and platelet count. A little variation individual to individual basis and with age is common. I can see that you are pretty young. A...  Read Full »

The hemogram showed some aberration. Please explain.

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 62 years old. She has diabetes. Her fasting sugar is 138 mg/dL, and PPBS is normal. Her TSH is usual at present. The HbA1c test is standard with 5.5 %. We did hemogram along with a sugar testing last week. It showed some aberration. The WBC was normal. Total WBC was margina...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The RBC (red blood cells) count is normal. The red cell distribution width indicates the variation in the size of the RBCs. It is usually seen in iron deficiency anemia where the RBCs b...  Read Full »

Is a platelet count of 455 units dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother's platelet count is 455 units. The normal range is 450 units. Her hemoglobin is 8 units. Is this platelet count dangerous? She has pain in the left leg below the knee portion. The nerves below are clearly visible. She took analgesics like Diclofenac, Signoflam, and Zerodol, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A platelet count of 4,55,000 /microliter of blood is not dangerous. Your mother is anemic given her hemoglobin level of 8 g/dL. She should be evaluated and her anemia treated accordingly. I do not understand what you mean by visible nerves. Do you mean veins? Please...  Read Full »

Is my platelet count acceptable to go ahead for surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 73 year old male and scheduled for a co-surgery. Da Vinci prostatectomy for PC and double hernia repair with patches. My platelet count is 92 x 10^3 per microliter. I have had this for over 17 years. I had a bone marrow biopsy before 16 years and also, had a recent one before 3 y...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, this platelet count is acceptable for all major procedures, except involving the central nervous system. No problem should occur during surgery with this platelet count. However, if doubtful, then can go for extra platel...  Read Full »

My brother's platelet counts are not going up even after transfusion. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,My brother has dengue fever. His platelet counts were dropping and once they reached 18,000 he was given one unit of platelet transfusion. But, his counts did not increase when checked after four hours and was at 17,000. So, the doctor went for a second infusion. There are no other sy...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, do not panic. Dengue is a self-recovering condition. His platelet counts will gradually rise. Platelet transfusion is fine. Normally, random donor platelets (RDP) increases the platelet count by 5000 only while single donor platelets (SDP) increases it by a...  Read Full »

Can you go through my dengue test results and explain them to me?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever (100 to 103 F) from the last two days with chills and aches on the knees and hands. I went to a general physician. She prescribed me Mefkind forte and said that if the fever stays for more than a day, I should go for CBC and dengue antigen. But, I have done my CBC and den...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your dengue test (NS1) is positive, and the platelet count is normal. You also have mild anemia, most likely due to iron deficiency. Your fasting blood sugar is on the higher side. Please continue to drink plenty of water as it is the main treatment for dengue...  Read Full »

What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The th...  Read Full »

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Internal Medicine Physician, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever. There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an optio...  Read Full »