Q. Is there any aberration seen in hemogram?

Dr. Smrita Singh

My partner is 62 years old. She has diabetes. Her fasting sugar is 138 mg/dL, and PPBS is normal. Her TSH is usual at present. The HbA1c test is standard with 5.5 %. We did hemogram along with a sugar testing last week. It showed some aberration. The WBC was normal. Total WBC was marginally high. Her hemoglobin was 14.4 g/dL, and her hematocrit was normal.

But the red cell distribution width was marginally high. Her platelet count was 164,000 platelets per microliter of blood. Her platelet distribution width, mean platelet volume, and platelet to large cell ratio were higher than normal. Her lipid profile was normal. She does not have any obvious abnormal symptoms. She takes Vysov-M 50 by 500 mg for diabetes and Thyrox 50 for thyroid.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The RBC (red blood cells) count is normal. The red cell distribution width indicates the variation in the size of the RBCs. It is usually seen in iron deficiency anemia where the RBCs become smaller in size. The hemoglobin is normal, and the elevation is only marginal. There is nothing to worry.

The platelet distribution width indicates the variation in the size of the platelets. It is seen generally. Sometimes, the rate of production of platelets is accelerated in bone marrow, and it results in larger sized platelets in the blood. There is nothing to worry.

| 

My platelet count, uric acid, SGOT, and SGPT are deranged. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old man and I weigh 115 Kg. My preventive health checkup results show the following irregularities: Mean platelet volume 12, CHCM 31.8, mean platelet volume at 12, total cholesterol 200.6, serum uric acid 7.8, globulin 3.7, SGOT 93.27, SGPT 213.87, and vitamin D tot...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have low erythropoietin count and high RBC count together?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male, 6 feet, and 180 lbs. I started a new job and the life insurance company wanted me to take a blood test. The results are attached. My blood test shows a low erythropoietin of 4.4 U/L (normal range 4.3 to 29) and high red blood cell count of 5.6x10^12/L (normal ...  Read Full »

My platelet count is high. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please help me understand my test results? My platelet count is at 1314, and my doctors are unable to give me a specific reason for it.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now