Q. Kindly explain the cytology report of my father.

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2020

My father aged around 59 years had undergone pleural tapping with pleural effusion around 50 U/L. Please find the cytology reports. What does it signify? Kindly explain.

#

• As your father had effusion, he was pleural tapped and his ADA level (adenosine deaminase) was non-confirmative of tuberculosis as it is less.
  • I would like to know the malignant cytology report, cellularity and whether the fluid was exudate or transudate to give further opinion.
  • The report attached here is a cytopathology report of fluid taken from the pleural cavity.
  • Since the patient is 60 years, the doctor took the sample and sent for cytopathological examination in case the pleural effusion is due to cancer or malignancy. The report has come out to be normal.
  • It signifies the fluid is not due to malignancy or cancer. This is a specific examination, which tells whether it is present or absent. In this scenario malignant or cancer cells are not present in the pleural fluid.
  • It could be due to many causes, unless more details of the condition such as coexisting heart and other conditions, patient symptoms or other test results are made available, no comment can be made.

Revert back with more details to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|