Pleural Effusion

I have pleural effusion with a mass in my lung. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case of pleural effusion with mass in the lung, the first thing any doctor should suspect tumor in the lung. There are other conditions that can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc., but these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analys...  Read Full »

Is there any home remedy available for moderate right pleural effusion?

Query: Hello doctor, A recent non-contrast CT scan of thorax, taken 10 weeks after undergoing a right hemicolectomy, showed: 1. Expansible sclerotic lesion in right rib may be benign. Bone scan might be useful. Given that I have only one kidney left, how would the injection of radioactive substances ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your first question, it all depends upon your creatinine clearance (how good is the remaining kidney functioning), also the reason why one would want to investigate this lesion further. Say for example if I am concerned about a metastatic lesion I would co...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for chest pain at night in a cardiomyopathic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, Six months ago, my father was hospitalized due to pleural effusion. After doing all the tests, we got to know that he has cardiomyopathy, for which the doctor prescribed some medicines. He is taking Atorfit CV 20, Nitrocontin 2.6 mg, Coversyl plus, Concor 2.5, Glyciphage and Glynase....  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he undergo angiography at that time? Can you attach his test reports or summary? Firstly, you should consult your cardiologist again and get him checked for the cause of pain. This pain may be related to noncardiac cause as well, like musculoskeletal or gastric ...  Read Full »

Is biopsy necessary for a lump in a fluid-filled lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle is suffering from breathing problems for ten days. Now the condition is that he cannot even inhale oxygen through the nose. He is inhaling through his mouth. And he is so weak that he cannot use the restroom by himself. Doctor adviced him to do echocardiography. The report sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, your uncle is suffering from left pleural effusion with left lung cancer. According to your history, he is very symptomatic and needs draining of fluid frequently to relieve dyspnea. Also, your doctor has rightly said that we must do a biopsy of the lum...  Read Full »

Can pleural thickening worsen as the person ages?

Query: Hi doctor, One year ago, I had massive left-sided pleural effusion with respiratory distress. Pigtail insertion was done and it was indicative of TB. Now, my ATT is stopped. After two months of treatment, my ultrasound report said that pleural thickening is seen along left posterolateral chest wall....  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please relax. You have probably healed your TB (tuberculosis) and there is nothing to worry right now. Pleural thickening has happened as a result of the effusion you had. It is a way of healing which the body does when effusion happens. It will not get worse with age...  Read Full »

Father is suffering from TB. What food should he take and avoid while on DOTS treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 48 years old. He is suffering from pleural effusion and TB for the last two months. DOTS treatment is going on. I want to know what foods should he take and what should he avoid?   Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good your father is under treatment, continue without any break, that is the most important thing. Diet also plays a vital role in TB treatment. Consume fruits, and vegetables like orange, mango, sweet pumpkin, carrots, guava, amla, tomato, nuts, and seeds are an exc...  Read Full »

Please interpret the finding of the chest x-ray.

Query: Hi doctor, I have undergone chest x-ray. Report says that heart size, lungs vascular marking, soft tissue and bony cage appears normal. My doubt is am I free from TB? What is the outcome of the chest x-ray?  Read Full »

Dr. Rashi Verma

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If a person has TB (tuberculosis), certain changes appear in the lungs which are detected by x-ray. The commonly seen changes are opacification of airspaces within the l...  Read Full »

Will CAT scan show lung cancer if pleural effusion is present?

Query: Hello doctor, How likely is a CAT scan to show a lung cancer if a pleural effusion is present? My husband has a pleural effusion and has had four CT scans, none of which show any suspicious mass. Cytology records are inconclusive. I am wondering if the presence of the pleural effusion limits the vi...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Detection of tumor on CAT (computed tomography) scan has nearly 85 to 90 percent efficacy which further increases to 95 percent in post-contrast studies. The pleasurable effusion can be due to numerous causes and in your case due to mucous plugging causing lung lobe col...  Read Full »

How to treat breathlessness in a metastatic breast cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is oxygen dependent because of pleurodesis since 1 month. She is suffering from breathlessness after talc pleurodesis. She has metastatic breast cancer with distant spread to the lung and liver. There is residual pleural effusion along with bilateral lower lobe consolidation. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) including your CT scan. It is very sad to be in such a situation with multiple problems. Metastatic breast cancer with underlying lung comorbidities is the cause of her breathlessness. Overal...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »