Pleural Effusion

Do all pleural effusions need pleurodesis?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 52 years old female. 25 days ago, core biopsy of retroperitoneal lymph node non-Hodgkin's mature B cell lymphoma diffusely positive for CD10, CD20, BCL6 and BCL12. Bone marrow biopsy showed erythroid hyperplasia with focal micronormoblastic maturation. She is suffering wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you very much for being specific in what you want to ask. For lymphoma associated effusion, we do not suggest pleurodesis (procedure to remove excess fluid in pleural space) as most of the patient responds to chemotherapy. One cycle is a short time to know if the...  Read Full »

What cause pain in the chest while taking TB treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a stabbing pain in the chest while taking TB treatment with four types of drugs (DOTS) since one and a half months. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This pain can be due to fluid in the pleural space, due to pleurisy or due to a cardiac cause. I suggest you take tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol), twice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines wit...  Read Full »

I feel sudden chest discomfort and breathlessness. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. My height is 167 cm and weight is 75 kg. Over the past one week, I am having high discomfort and pain in my right chest when I breathe. The pain radiates to the right shoulder and right arm too. When I sneeze or blow my nose up, the pain is severe. I cannot explain this...  Read Full »

Dr. Kartik Sood

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of frequent chest infections in the past, which were associated with wheezing, secretions and fever as well, I would suggest you to consult a pulmonologist or a chest physician in person. Your symptom of chest pain, which increases on deep respiratio...  Read Full »

What does my father's cytology report indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My father aged around 59 years had undergone pleural tapping with pleural effusion around 50 U/L. Please find the cytology reports. What does it signify? Kindly explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your father had effusion, he was pleural tapped and his ADA level (adenosine deaminase) was non-confirmative of tuberculosis as it is less. I would like to know the malignant cytology report, cellularity and whether the fluid was exudate or transudate to give further o...  Read Full »

I have pleural effusion with a mass in my lung. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case of pleural effusion with mass in the lung, the first thing any doctor should suspect tumor in the lung. There are other conditions that can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc., but these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analys...  Read Full »

Is there any home remedy available for moderate right pleural effusion?

Query: Hello doctor, A recent non-contrast CT scan of thorax, taken 10 weeks after undergoing a right hemicolectomy, showed: 1. Expansible sclerotic lesion in right rib may be benign. Bone scan might be useful. Given that I have only one kidney left, how would the injection of radioactive substances ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your first question, it all depends upon your creatinine clearance (how good is the remaining kidney functioning), also the reason why one would want to investigate this lesion further. Say for example if I am concerned about a metastatic lesion I would co...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for chest pain at night in a cardiomyopathic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, Six months ago, my father was hospitalized due to pleural effusion. After doing all the tests, we got to know that he has cardiomyopathy, for which the doctor prescribed some medicines. He is taking Atorfit CV 20, Nitrocontin 2.6 mg, Coversyl plus, Concor 2.5, Glyciphage and Glynase....  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did he undergo angiography at that time? Can you attach his test reports or summary? Firstly, you should consult your cardiologist again and get him checked for the cause of pain. This pain may be related to noncardiac cause as well, like musculoskeletal or gastric ...  Read Full »

Is biopsy necessary for a lump in a fluid-filled lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle is suffering from breathing problems for ten days. Now the condition is that he cannot even inhale oxygen through the nose. He is inhaling through his mouth. And he is so weak that he cannot use the restroom by himself. Doctor adviced him to do echocardiography. The report sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, your uncle is suffering from left pleural effusion with left lung cancer. According to your history, he is very symptomatic and needs draining of fluid frequently to relieve dyspnea. Also, your doctor has rightly said that we must do a biopsy of the lum...  Read Full »

Can pleural thickening worsen as the person ages?

Query: Hi doctor, One year ago, I had massive left-sided pleural effusion with respiratory distress. Pigtail insertion was done and it was indicative of TB. Now, my ATT is stopped. After two months of treatment, my ultrasound report said that pleural thickening is seen along left posterolateral chest wall....  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please relax. You have probably healed your TB (tuberculosis) and there is nothing to worry right now. Pleural thickening has happened as a result of the effusion you had. It is a way of healing which the body does when effusion happens. It will not get worse with age...  Read Full »

Father is suffering from TB. What food should he take and avoid while on DOTS treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 48 years old. He is suffering from pleural effusion and TB for the last two months. DOTS treatment is going on. I want to know what foods should he take and what should he avoid?   Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good your father is under treatment, continue without any break, that is the most important thing. Diet also plays a vital role in TB treatment. Consume fruits, and vegetables like orange, mango, sweet pumpkin, carrots, guava, amla, tomato, nuts, and seeds are an exc...  Read Full »