Q. Are cough and chest congestion the symptoms of pneumonia?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Internal Medicine
#

Your chest x-ray appears normal. There is no pneumonia. What you have is an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI), mostly caused by viruses. This is a self-limited disease and usually clears up within seven days on its own. Sometimes, cough can persist a while longer and is called post-viral cough. Antibiotics are useless against viruses. They should only be used against bacterial infections. Viruses cause the vast majority of URTIs. These infections spread through the air (when you cough or sneeze) or through contact. They are not transmitted through food.

Treatment for viral URTI is symptomatic. Fever medicines like Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, or Naproxen can be used. Nasal decongestants for the congested nose. If cough persists beyond a week, then a corticosteroid inhaler can help.

Suffering from cold, chest congestion and sore throat. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old male who is overweight. Other than being overweight, I am in relatively good health.  I am getting regular health checkup for every six months. Currently, I am taking Triamterene and HCTZ and Simvastatin 20 mg. Recently, I had cold, some respiratory discomfort, c...  Read Full »

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

Bronchitis vs. Pneumonia

Article Overview: Bronchitis and pneumonia both are lung conditions and cause similar symptoms, so it becomes difficult to tell them apart. Both these illnesses affect the airways and cause cough and discomfort.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Pulmonologist

Most people recover quickly from a cold and flu, but in some, it might lead to bronchitis or pneumonia. Bronchitis and pneumonia both are lung conditions and cause similar symptoms, so it becomes difficult to tell them apart. Both these illnesses affect the airways and cause cough and discomfort. It...  Read Article

Ask a Pulmonologist Now