Q. My 96-year-old grandmother has a cough and fever. What medications can we give her?

Dr. Manisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

My grandmother is 96 years old, and she has a cough and fever. We also have noticed some bedsore at her back, probably due to a prolonged stay in bed. What medication can we give her? I hope you can help us out.

#

Your grandmother seems to be bedridden for quite some time as she has developed bedsores. However, staying in bed can lead to several other problems, such as pneumonia because of limited movement and deep breathing. In addition, having a fever can be a sign of upper respiratory tract infection or pneumonia.

It would be helpful to give a little more details such as the duration of fever and temperature reading. Is she producing phlegm with a cough? If yes, then the color of it.

Bedsores, if not taken care of properly, progress to deeper tissues and can get infected. Infected bedsores could be another reason for the fever. It would be helpful if you provide a picture of the bedsore.

I would suggest you with:

1) Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg three times a day.

2) Clean and keep bedsores dry as much as possible. You can do this with the help of a position change several times a day.

3) You can use pillows and soft cushions on the sides and in-between knees and thighs.

4) If available, apply some Betadine powder on the bedsore.

Let me know if you need further help.

|