Polymerase Chain Reaction

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The time required for IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies to develop after the exposure to HSV (herpes simplex virus) is usually 21 to 42 days. A negative HSV IgG means that you have probably not been exposed to HSV. HSV IgM (immunoglobulin M) will tell whether you have ...  Read Full »

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

Are there any side effects in getting a bone marrow test?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother's age is 60 years, and six months back her WBC count was 26000. She got admitted for two days and was discharged, at that time her WBC count came to 9000. Now from the last month, she was feeling tired, so we checked the WBC count, and it was 14,000. We went to the general p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows high total count and premature WBC cells up to 13 to 14 %. It seems to be a leukemoid reaction like condition. Myeloid proliferation is present, but it does not seem to ...  Read Full »

Epstein-Barr IgM is positive, but undetectable in PCR. Still, I am sick, could it be chronic fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had reactivated Epstein-Barr for a year. I recently got a blood test, which said, faint monoclonal band detected in the gamma region, repeat blood test in six months. There is no immunoparesis, and my levels have risen in the last four months, but still in the normal range. What d...  Read Full »

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns. The brief history you have described suggest a possibility of past infection with EBV (Ebstein-Barr virus). Probably you had an episode of IMN( infectious mononucleosis) in the childhood, which is quit...  Read Full »

I have increased RBC along with decreased MCV and MCH. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, If my complete blood count has high RBC value and low MCV and MCH values, what is the possible diagnosis for me?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High RBC count is called polycythemia. If it is persistently high, then the cause should be evaluated. Respiratory causes like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and cardiac causes can lead to secondary polycythemia. Primary polycythemia is a myeloproliferative...  Read Full »