Q. Epstein-Barr IgM is positive, but undetectable in PCR. Still, I am sick, could it be chronic fatigue?

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain A P and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Epstein Barr Virus or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have had reactivated Epstein-Barr for a year. I recently got a blood test, which said, faint monoclonal band detected in the gamma region, repeat blood test in six months. There is no immunoparesis, and my levels have risen in the last four months, but still in the normal range. What does this mean? Could this be transient due to an infection? The IgM remains positive, the PCR undetectable, but I am still sick. Could it be chronic fatigue? 

I have had a similar experience recently with positive IgM for Cytomegalovirus, but undetectable PCR. And even one positive for Lymes and another negative. Could it be cross-reacting antibodies or something more sinister? I am currently taking Cipralex and Risperdal.