Q. I cannot resist the temptation of watching porn videos. Please help.

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania
Published on Apr 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 25 year old unmarried male. My problem is since I am 20 years old, I used to watch porn videos. But, during past one year it has become a regular habit of spending thrice a week watching porn. After ejaculation, I would feel guilty. I would like to control the habit, but I cannot resist it. Every second or third day my brain would go out of my control and I cannot resist the temptation. Of late, the number of hours I spend watching is gradually increasing with around 7-8 hours a week. During my college days, I did not have this habit. For the past one year, I am living alone in hostel with internet access preparing for competitive exams. I am afraid that this addiction could become worse in the future. I want to focus on exams and career without diversion. Apart from this, I have no other problem in my life. Please help me to come out of this. Thank you.

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania

Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy
#

• Firstly, from reading your query, it is evident that you have been having a tough time breaking the habit of watching porn. Let me assure you that this can be managed with self-discipline and you will be successful at getting back to managing your time wisely. 
  • As humans, we tend to find a release of our stress and seek gratification in various hobbies and recreational activities.
  • Often it happens and these activities will become a routine habit, because certain circuits of thinking in our brain get conditioned to seeking pleasure continuously.
  • The problem with this is that it starts to consume our valuable time and keeps from accomplishing our productive tasks. Therefore, it is important to break that habit. I am glad that you are motivated already to changing this habit.
  • To begin with, you must stop watching porn and visiting the adult websites immediately.
  • In order to restrain yourself from doing it, you may install a parental control extension on your browser which will block all the adult sites from loading.
  • Watching porn visually stimulates us (mostly men) and exhausts our brain, which leads to fatigue and laziness.
  • Some people wear a rubber band on their wrists while studying and snap themselves if any distracting thoughts cross their minds. For some, this kind of aversive technique seems to work well.
  • Secondly, since you are preparing for a competitive exam, so reading and studying are your foremost priorities. Making an organized schedule with weekly goals will certainly help.
  • Track your progress on a calendar or in a study journal that you will write down in at the end of every day. The feeling of accomplishment is certainly a big booster in your journey.
  • Your time is of utmost importance to you right now. To utilize it well, you need to know what your prime time for studying during the day. Utilize maximum of that time.
  • Stress is a factor that can lead to distraction of our focused mind. Hence, it is important to keep stress at bay.
  • Relaxation exercises like mindfulness meditation and pranayama will be very beneficial and I suggest you do it 15 minutes twice a day.
  • Exercising physically also helps to relax our mind and body. A brisk walk or run of at least 25 minutes for five times a week is known to keep our mind joyful and positive. You may also include 30 minutes of weight training to channelize your energy.
  • By now you must have realized that we have limited time and energy at hand on any given day.
  • In pursuit of building a bright future and successful career, each day working towards our goal counts and helps in the end.
  • Finally, it is always helpful to surround yourself with people who are in the similar pursuit, especially for an exam. It will keep you motivated and inspired for studies and make you compete with yourself to get better.
  • Knowing new people and being a good friend will give you recognition and alleviate any feelings of loneliness and despair.
  • From your concerns about your own time and priorities, it is apparent that you are a sincere, dedicated student who is motivated to study and wants to do better in life.
  • Make this your driving force to manage your time wisely in this crucial period of your life and you will certainly succeed in achieving your goals. Wish you all the best.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full »

Shall I use oxygen concentrator to do pranayama?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not have any existing problem. I live in a very congested neighborhood and it is very much polluted. I would like to do pranayama basically for my well being and mental peace. Shall I use an oxygen concentrator to do pranayama? What precautions should I take? I am not any regular me...  Read Full »

What changes have to be done to control BP?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 58 years old. She has high BP problem since last six years. She is taking Amlong-A tablet daily from then and everything was fine. For the last two months, she has been diagnosed with high BP three to four times. We went through all blood and urine tests. Once a few pus cell...  Read Full »