Q. Why is there a skin discoloration in my back?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

I have been diagnosed with cervical dystonia, a chronic neck disorder for most of my adult life. It is extremely debilitating and treatment resistant. The onset was after car accidents, stress and substance abuse at age from 19 to 21. I am no longer smoke or drink and have stopped before 10 years. I have seen the top neurologists in my country, taken all the drugs and Botox variants and even considered deep brain stimulation. All scans and blood tests have come back with nothing. I also have vague symptoms that my neurologists dismissed out of hand or had no clue about and said as much. The first symptom is a discoloration of the skin from the base of my skull, which runs halfway down my back. It is a pale yellow brown hue, more noticeable in natural light. Aside from my neck spasms, this is the only visual, physical symptom I have, apart from persistent acne on the back.

The second symptom I have, which happens once or twice in a year, although less frequently in the last few years, is a feeling at night. It feels like I am going to experience some kind of organ failure in my middle back. This is coupled with breaking out in a cold sweat. I can only describe it as feeling like I am on the verge of dying. It is not a pleasant sensation. I also experience depression and anxiety and an odd lack of pain in most of my body. This lack of pain numbs the excruciating spasms in my neck, but also hinders healing and sensations throughout my body. With all this in mind, my question is, are there any tests the neurologists might have missed that an endocrinologist would usually employ? Does my symptoms sound worthy of further investigation by an endocrinologist?

#

• Your treatment plan seems efficient, but still did not match up to your satisfaction.
  • The remaining two treatment options that you have not tried are deep brain stimulation and sensory trick, which is a stimulation applied to the affected or nearby body part that may reduce the muscle contractions, by simply touching this area and people can control their own contractions.
  • As for the discoloration of your back, the area you are describing is the area that is pressured while lying down on your back. It seems that you lay down for long periods of time that it interferes with the blood supply of the skin of this area.
  • You should not lie on your back for more than 2 hours in continuous. You should lay on each side for another 2 hours and so on. It is also best that you send a picture of the area.

Revert back with the photos to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My dad had a seizure-like attack after a DBS surgery. Can it be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had undergone deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's six months ago. I have been visiting his neurosurgeon to fine tune the stimulation. There have been significant changes post surgery. But, his speech is slurred when movements are alright and when speech is fine, h...  Read Full »

Brain Stimulation Techniques in Psychiatry

Article Overview: Novel brain stimulation techniques have cropped up in the field of psychiatry. These have brought about a paradigm and tectonic shift in the way health care is delivered. The focus of this article will be on the newer modalities of brain stimulation in the treatment of complex neuropsychiatric disorders. Read Article

Brain stimulation therapy is a broad term that encompasses a set of techniques used to stimulate brain cells. After having psychotherapy and highly effective psychotropics in their treatment armamentarium, psychiatrists are now foraying into the field of interventional psychiatry. However, these the...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»