Q. Exercises to do when one has ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion.

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Dear doctor,

Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?

#

You have to inform us of your age, duration of symptoms, whether you are on any medical management, the extent of your body joints and spine involvement, etc.

Considering all these have been done, I would suggest you concentrate on deep breathing exercises and pranayama.

Also, we advise you to avoid the use of high pillows or a soft bed.

Now as you know, the chest expansion is limited when one is having ankylosing spondylitis, swimming is a good exercise that helps most joints in addition to the back.

You may also need to check your vitamin D status and the calcium, phosphorous and alkaline phosphatase levels.

Yoga can be tried but will have to be individually tailored.

All the best for a sporty day.

Consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|