Q. Exercises to do when one has ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion.

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu
Published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 20, 2018

Dear doctor,

Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

You have to inform us of your age, duration of symptoms, whether you are on any medical management, the extent of your body joints and spine involvement, etc.

Considering all these have been done, I would suggest you concentrate on deep breathing exercises and pranayama.

Also, we advise you to avoid the use of high pillows or a soft bed.

Now as you know, the chest expansion is limited when one is having ankylosing spondylitis, swimming is a good exercise that helps most joints in addition to the back.

You may also need to check your vitamin D status and the calcium, phosphorous and alkaline phosphatase levels.

Yoga can be tried but will have to be individually tailored.

All the best for a sporty day.

Consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines.  Read Full »

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached ...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now