Q. My wife is recovering from postpartum cardiomyopathy. How to take care of her?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Recently my wife survived after having an attack of postpartum cardiomyopathy. She is 26 and her EF was reduced to 20 % when she was admitted. She had an attack of repetitive convulsion and her lungs got filled with gastric juice. Now after remaining hospitalized for more than two weeks (more than five days in the ICU), she has been discharged. Now her EF is 55 %. But still, I am very worried how to manage her situation. I mean what will be the restrictions on diet, whereabouts, etc. Even now, her pulse is on the higher side (> 100) although the BP is fine. Kindly suggest.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

1. Regarding the diet restrictions, common salt intake should be within one teaspoon daily. Salt intake to be maintained strictly.
  2. Avoid strenuous activities. She should be on rest till she improves.
  3. It is very good that her EF (ejection fraction) improved to 55 %. That is highly encouraging. I hope that over a period of time she will improve further.
  4. Do not worry about the pulse rate.
  5. Avoid spicy, fried, and salty food.
  6. Be on a follow-up with your cardiologists.
  7. She may require Pantocid DSR (a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone) one tablet once daily.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

• She has a WBC count of 13200/cmm in which:
  1. Neutrophil 80 %.
  2. Lymphocyte 15 %.
  3. Monocyte 03 %.
  4. Eosinophil 02 %.
  • CRP 46.6 mg/L.
  • AST (UV with PSP) V 44U/L.

Kindly suggest. Medicines taken by her are Ivabrad 5 mg two times a day, Cardivas 3.125 mg two times a day, Eptoin 100 mg thrice a day, Cepodem XP two times a day, and Mucolite cough syrup. She is having a severe cough.

#

• Your wife has been suffering from aspiration pneumonia due to aspiration of stomach contents. I suggest you admit her to a hospital. It sometimes becomes very critical.
  • Meanwhile, I suggest taking tablet Claribid (Clarithromycin) 500 one tablet two times daily for seven days, and tablet Loxof (Levofloxacin) 500 one daily for seven days. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  • Do sputum for routine and culture sensitivity, and based on the reports proper antibiotics are to be started. Please consult a chest physician.
  • For cough, Grilinctus BM (Bromhexine and Terbutaline sulfate) two teaspoons twice daily.
  • Do steam inhalation twice daily.

|