Prostatectomy

My father has a third-degree prostatomegaly with a decreased PSA. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding my father. He is 65 years old. He suffers from BPH from the last five years and takes Alfusin-D for the same. Five years back, when he was diagnosed, his PSA was 2.8 ng. Last year, we repeated his test and the PSA was 0.9 ng/ml with normal DRE. An ultrasound of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Choudhary Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The PSA (prostate-specific antigen) has decreased due to Dutasteride component of Alfusin-D. I suggest he get the screening done yearly for a year or two. Then, a two-yearly screening of PSA and DRE (digital rectal examination) is alright as his PSA is low in spite of...  Read Full »

How to treat the pain and irritation due to enlarged prostrate?

Query: Hello doctor,My prostate is enlarged, and it used to irritation while urinating. But after the treatment for enlarged prostate, the irritation has come down. I have enclosed my entire medical records for your opinion. Is surgery required now? Will eating fish aggravate my condition?  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had episodes of Urinary tract infection (UTI), which was fairly severe with WBC (white blood cell) count of 28,000. The ultrasound shows prostate to be 57 g. Prostate surgery does not depend on the size of...  Read Full »

How soon should I go for prostate removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer and recommend prostate removal. But it is difficult to get the surgeon to do the operation. I am worried. Do you think I should look for a different outfit to do the surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from prostate problems. According to your prostate biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have prostatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer that is confined to the pros...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for my prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on active surveillance for the last 2 years. My initial prostate biopsy was 2 years ago and showed 1 out of 10 needles cancerous, Gleason 6, slow growing and Prolaris test showing a medium growth rate. I had second biopsy 6 months ago. Before the second biopsy, my PSA was 5 and four ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your details. My main concern is the rise of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) from 5 to 16. Though it might be due to infection, since three months you are taking treatment of infections. So, your PSA should have reduced if the rise was due to infection...  Read Full »

Does a high PSA level warrant a biopsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 62 years old. I have severe pain while urinating and having frequent urination at night. My PSA 62.32, prostate 78 g, RUV 142 mL. Should I get a biopsy?  Read Full »

Dr. Aman Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope your doctor has examined you physically. If there is a doubt of any tumor on prostate examination, then a biopsy should be done. If there is any history of a recent proven urinary tract infection in the last few days, then PSA (prostate-specific antigen) may be fal...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for a mild benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 58 year old male. Except for low blood pressure, I am in generally perfect health with mild benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) that has not been getting noticeably worse lately but, has been present for years. While my stream is certainly not like when I was younger, I have no...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your history.If possible, send me a graph of your bladder pressure study and flow. If the bladder pressure is high, then it is better to get operated for the prostate enlargement.A high power or pressure in the detrusor suggests a bladder outflow obs...  Read Full »