Protein Electrophoresis

What is the reson for high Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 72 years old. His ESR is 102. All kidney, liver and hemoglobin are in the range along with clear chest x-ray. Recently, he had right ribs and collar bone fracture. Also, he was diagnosed to have hemopneumothorax and chest tube was given for that. What may be the possible cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. ESR is an acute phase reactant (erythrocyte sedimentation reaction). It suggests that there is something is going on inside body, but it does not localize the problem. Any infection, inflammation or low hemoglobin can cause...  Read Full »

My mother has multiple myeloma. How to find out the stage of her cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My 97 year old mother, who is in a nursing home, is more tired and feeling unwell. A blood test has shown she has likely got multiple myeloma. She had left-sided paralysis from a stroke six years ago. She cannot speak, and she is slow in understanding and writing, but she has no dementia...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I have read all the test values that you have mentioned. From which, I can see that her total protein is high and albumin is low with elevated gamma globulin. Immunofixation electrophoresis is the best test to detect plasma ce...  Read Full »