Reticulocyte Count

Why does my report show low hemoglobin levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old woman. I had hysterectomy 4 years back.  Now, I have no periods or blood loss of any measure. I am having balanced diet with plenty of meat and kale chips. Since 3 months, I have started taking raw food and prenatal vitamins because of cracks in mouth that would not h...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:The low hemoglobin at present is not due to blood loss, it is nutritional. If you look at the iron studies, the iron levels are very low, indicating inadequate ir...  Read Full »

What does the gradual increase in my mother's MCV and MCH indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 60 years old, is currently under treatment for hypothyroidism, hypertension and stage 2 osteoarthritis of knee joints. She is currently on the following medicines: Eltroxin 50 mcg, Olmezest 20 mg, Gemcal D3 and E-cod Plus. I have attached a copy of her recent kidney,...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, vitamin B12, folic acid and iron levels are normal at present. The present macroovalocytes and macroplatelets are indicative of deficiency. Maybe for a short period due to infection or stress, there was deficiency. Also,...  Read Full »

What are the causes of my iron-deficiency anemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50 year old male, who until recently was in relatively good health, other than idiopathic severe osteoporosis and depression. Over the past six months, I have become lethargic, out of breath after very simple tasks, and loss of memory. My primary doctor noticed that my hemoglobi...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: CT with contrast helps us in looking for any structural abnormalities. If there are any strictures (narrowed areas) or any masses (like carcinoma), then ba...  Read Full »

My daughter's hemoglobin and iron levels are low. Is it due to ITP?

Query: Hello doctor,My 21 year old daughter suffered from ITP, two years back. Her hemoglobin and iron are low again, so she started taking Orofer. Her hemoglobin is 10.3 g/dL and iron is 25. The platelet count is fine. Please help.   Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided, it is a case of anemia. Here hemoglobin level is low and serum iron level is also low. Hence, it is suggestive of iron-deficiency anemia. But for proper workup, I need to know peripheral smear examination report with CBC (complete blo...  Read Full »

What can cause low WBC count?

Query: Hi doctor, My father-in-law is 58 years old. He had a stroke a year back and has been diagnosed with non-critical CAD. Within a period of two months, his WBC count has reduced from a range of 7.5 to 2.8. But, there is no sign of infection. The overall count of ANC is more than 1000 and platelets are...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my findings are as follows. Your dad is suffering with macrocytic anemia along with leukopenia (low level WBC) and pancytopenia (deficiency of RBC, WBC and platelet). There is only a slight decrease in the number of platelets, so you need not worry. ...  Read Full »

My Hb is around 12. Should I seek bone marrow aspiration?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old man without major systemic diseases before. I am actually a medical student now. During the general examination this year, I noticed my Hb level around 12 to 13 g/dL. Follow up data in the following months showed 12.7 --> 12.8 --> 12.4 --> 12.6. Normocytic ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are a medical student, so obviously you are very much alert about health. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. Your CBC (complete blood count) report is not showing any abnormality except borderline hemoglobin level. You are right in that the male h...  Read Full »

What is the cure for priapism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have a problem of priapism or prolonged erection at night since more than a year. During the day I find many people staring at me directly or indirectly, and this creates tension or pressure on my mind. I try to be normal as much as possible, but due to int...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. I think you are suffering from stuttering priapism. I have some questions for you, answering which will help me to recommend better treatment options for you. For how much time does your penis stay in an erect state in the morning after you wake...  Read Full »