Q. My daughter's hemoglobin and iron levels are low. Is it due to ITP?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 21 year old daughter suffered from ITP, two years back. Her hemoglobin and iron are low again, so she started taking Orofer. Her hemoglobin is 10.3 g/dL and iron is 25. The platelet count is fine. Please help. 

Hematology Pathology
#

• According to the history provided, it is a case of anemia. Here hemoglobin level is low and serum iron level is also low. Hence, it is suggestive of iron-deficiency anemia. But for proper workup, I need to know peripheral smear examination report with CBC (complete blood count) and serum ferritin.
  • For iron-deficiency anemia, she has been given Orofer, which contains Ferrous ascorbate and elemental iron. So, it is a good drug, and continue it for at least one to two month as iron store also needs to be replenished. After a week of starting the tablet, you can again investigate with reticulocyte count, so that we can know the response to the tablet.
  • If a specific cause is found for iron-deficiency anemia, then it needs to be treated accordingly. For example, if abdominal pain is associated and stool occult blood is positive for the presence of parasitic egg, then Albendazole and Ivermectin can be given.
  • If no specific cause is found, then IDA might be from a low nutritional diet. So for that, along with tablets take healthy iron-rich foods like dry fruits, green leafy vegetables like spinach, jaggery, beans, etc. Red meat also contains iron.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

My son is 4.5 years old. He is complaining of a weird tickling feeling. Please help.

Query: Dear Doctor, My son is 4.5 years old. Since the last 2 months, he is complaining about a weird tickling feeling in stomach, penis and anus. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now