Q. I have a runny nose, and I sneeze every day. Please suggest some effective medications.

Dr. Sandhya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hello, I have running nose and sneezing almost everyday as soon as I get up. It sometimes decreases after a while and at other times continues for a few hours. Although I have this from many years, of late the frequency has increased. I used to take Cetrizine earlier. But my doctor has prescribed Ebast recently. I also take Duonase spray at night, which is very effective only on the next day.

#

Hello. Welcome to icliniq. As you already might be aware of, it is allergic rhinitis. Most people suffer from it due to an allergen, known or unknown. In case you know what you are allergic to, please avoid the allergen. In case you don't know, it must be the atmospheric pollutants , especially confined to your house or allergic reaction due to the circulating air due to usage of ceiling fans or table fans. As of now, 1. Make sure you changes your bedsheets and pillow cases often 2. Clean your blanket and have it air fried under the sun 3. Air dry your mattress as well under the sun 4. Try to clean your room and house including the cabinets with wet mop or wet cloth. Do not use a brush to clean as the dust particles will remain in the air. 5. While cleaning make sure you put on a mask 6. Please continue duonase as it is really effective. 7. Start. Tab. Levocetirizine + montelukast twice daily after food for 2 weeks and then may reduce it gradually to once a day ( at night one hour before going to bed )for the next two weeks. For some people it might be slightly sedative although levocetirizine is considered non sedative. So be careful so as to not go out for a drive after taking the tablet. 8.Avoid any forms of possible allergens. Kindly follow-up after 2 weeks and do update me about your progress. Thank you. Stay happy, healthy and safe

| 

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »

What causes frequent sneezing, wheezing and cough during cold climate?

Query: Hi doctor, I have frequent sneezing during cold climate. I have wheezing and cough. I used several medicines for seven years. I have no problem with the heart, and I do not have asthma.  Read Full »

Why is there flowing nose with nose block in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 7 years old, has a flowing nose. Sometimes, nose block for 7 to 8 days, light fever from today morning, cough at night especially.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now