Q. What are the days after periods should I stay out of sex to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019

After how many days of periods, sex should not happen to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

Your question actually pertains to a natural birth control method called rhythm method calendar method (you can search it on net). Let me tell you the safe days are the days you can actually have sex in order not to get pregnant but, this method is not full proof and there are failure rates too. Consider first day of your cycle (menstrual cycle) as the day from which you began to bleed.

You keep a track of your cycles and determine your shortest and longest cycle but before that know it that your cycles must be regular. Substract 20 from your shortest cycle and 10 from your longest cycle and you get your safe days. Eg. Shortest is 26 Longest is 30. 26-20= 6 30-10= 20. Days 6 to 20 is unsafe for you. Rest all will be safe to have sex to avoid pregnancy. There are many other calculations for calendar which you yourself can search but my recommendations will be five days after the last day of your first cycle that is when the bleeding stops will be the safest (though not 100 percent).

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which brings obesity and insulin resistance along with it. Consult a doctor for medical advice to lose weight and improve insulin resistance to allow regular menses to occur. Also it is important to maintain hea...  Read Full

Should my fiancee consume a contraceptive pill in case she misses her period?

Query: Hi doctor, My fiancee and I had sex this weekend. It was unprotected and I ejaculated inside. We had sex during her safe days. She is expecting her periods in a day or two. Can there be any chance of delay in her periods? Can she consume a contraceptive pill within 72 hours and avoid pregnancy? I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she is getting regular 30 days period cycle and you had intercourse after the 20th day of her period then there are no chances of pregnancy. Also, no need to take any contraceptive pill as her periods are due in two to three days. The period can delay because of ...  Read Full

Are there any chances of pregnancy after using both condom and I-pill?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my periods on the 31st of last month. Then, I had sex on the 26th with protection. I also used emergency pill. When will I get my next periods? Are there any chances of pregnancy? Please explain me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, the word protection is not clear for me. Have you used condom or pill or both? If you used both, then the chances of being pregnant is very less. Now, regarding your next period, it will depend on your menstrual pattern. If emergency pills are used, then the...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now