Q. What is the best treatment option, apart from surgery or minimally invasive surgery, for sciatica?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
My father has been having sciantica on lower left leg and back pains. This have continuously happened for last 5 months.
In the past 2 years it only pains periodically. What are the best options (1) without surgery or (2) minimal invasive surgery? I would be able to share further on the MRI scans once I have established a link to upload or email.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Sorry to hear this. The MRI does show degenerative disease of the lumbar spine mainly at L45 L5S1 level.

The main indications for surgery are as follows

1. Presence of neurological deficits ( i.e weakness of legs and/or numbness of legs and/or numbness or tingling in the peri anal region and/or loss of bowel and bladder control)
  2. Severe intractable pain not responding or partially responding to medications.

Thus the decision for surgery is generally based on both patient perception as well as thorough clinical examination. He needs to visit a surgeon for examination.

Generally speaking, the surgeon usually recommends a non surgical treatment first if there are no neurological deficits. These may include rest, activity modifications, medications,physiotherapy, combination of nerve blocks and/or facet blocks etc.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

|