Scleroderma

Can UCTD and MCTD occur together?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently struggling with a flare that is just not getting better. My symptoms started three years ago. At that time my ANA was high positive, lupus anticoagulant positive, but nothing else specific. My symptoms are joint pain, swelling, severe fatigue, severe hand swelling, sev...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I believe your diagnosis is Overlap syndrome, scleroderma with myositis overlap. Your symptoms do not fit into one connective tissue disease. It is probably overlap of two diseases going on. Lupus I will not be too sure, as you do not specify symptoms pertaining to i...  Read Full »

Why do I have blood spots on cuticles?

Query: Hi doctor,I am contacting you because I have Raynaud's, and the past few months my cuticles have developed blood specks. I know these symptoms point to scleroderma. It has me very worried. I need to visit a doctor for tests but I have to wait a few days and I would really like to get some clarificat...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. The diagnosis of scleroderma is based on clinical and some laboratory parameters neither raynauds nor the cuticle blood spots are specific for scleroderma. It is skin thickness that has maximum value and blood tests like anticentromere antib...  Read Full »

Do you think that a skin test is enough to diagnose scleroderma?

Query: Hi doctor, I traveled to a different country to get more in depth testing of multiple health problems. I was diagnosed with the start of scleroderma, because of my gastrointestinal symptoms, idiopathic angioedema, thickened skin, weird blood vessels (tiny red tree-like veins), family history of scle...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, in my opinion your case could be suggestive of scleroderma (autoimmune disorder - hardening of skin). However, I want to know the pattern of sclerosis. For scleroderma, it should start from hand and reach main trunk. Also, revert back with details of GI symptoms. F...  Read Full »

Is Plaquenil beneficial in C.difficile colitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was diagnosed with systemic sclerosis (CREST). Her main symptoms have been Raynaud's and esophageal issues. She also has Alzheimer's and a history of recurrent C.diff colitis. She took Plaquenil for several years and her CREST symptoms appeared stable. So, when her rheumato...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your mother's history and she has had a tough path. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) at this stage will not help her scleroderma much, especially the esophagus, which is already dilated with no motility. This is one of the few conditions of scleroderma, ...  Read Full »

Does positive ANA and Scl 70 mean scleroderma?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has a positive ANA and Scl 70. I just do not get it. I am in shock as I am sure anyone else would be. Does this mean for sure he has scleroderma? He has no symptoms.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Positive ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) suggestive of some form of autoimmune disorder or connective tissue disorder. Anti-Scl (scleroderma) positivity suggestive of scleroderma. But provide me your report as an attachment for giving more comment as I want to know refer...  Read Full »

My fingertips are extremely painful. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My fingertips feel like there are broken glasses in them, and it is getting worse. When I lay down, it is extremely painful, and if the weather is cold, it becomes unbearable. I work in construction, so this makes it impossible to work.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand how worrisome this situation is for you. It seems the blood vessels in your fingertips are not working well. Due to lack of blood supply, it is painful. Small nerve endings in fingertips may also get involved, making it worse. Please consult your primary...  Read Full »