HomeAnswersSexologysexual healthI have been experiencing pain during intercourse, a burning sensation during urination, and an enlarged Bartholin gland. Kindly help.

Can an enlarged Bartholin's gland cause pain during intercourse and a burning sensation during urination?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 15, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 3, 2024

Patient's Query

I am a 23-year-old female, and I experience pain during sexual intercourse with my husband. The pain feels like a knife inside me, and it worsens afterward. I suspect it may be related to my Bartholin gland as it becomes larger, almost like an olive, and I also experience a burning sensation when urinating. Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Raveendran S R

I read your query and understood your concern. Based on the information you provided, possible reasons for experiencing pain during sexual intercourse can include:

1. Dryness caused by infection, inadequate foreplay, dehydration, age-related factors, or hormonal imbalances. You can try natural methods, like increasing foreplay to promote lubrication, or use lubricants.
  2. Injury due to dryness, or deep penetration in certain positions during intercourse.
  3. Local infection - It would be helpful to provide a picture for confirmation.
  4. Vaginismus - A condition where fear during sex causes the muscles in the genital area to contract, leading to pain. Increasing foreplay duration may help reduce fear and improve comfort during intercourse.
  5. Congenital abnormality.
  6. History of surgery in the genital region.
  7. Injury to the cervix by the penis.
  8. Fibroids - An ultrasound of the abdomen may be required to confirm the diagnosis.
  9. Recent childbirth.

Please share more details regarding your specific situation, so we can work on the diagnosis and provide appropriate management options. I hope this has helped you. Kindly follow up if you have more doubts.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Raveendran S R
Dr. Raveendran S R

Sexology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Sexology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy