Common "Bartholin's Cyst" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Bartholin's Cyst

A fluid-filled growth or a cyst in the Bartholin's glands, which are glands present on either side of the vaginal opening and help lubricate the vagina, is called Bartholin's cyst. The symptoms are tender or painful swelling near the vagina, pain during sex, and fever.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have a cyst forming after Bartholin gland removal. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a Bartholin's abscess which drained and burst on its own. However, ever since then, I have a small sac filled with pus that continuously fills and drains. I then started to develop a cyst on the same spot. I went to a gynecologist and then got my Bartholin gland removed. No...  Read Full »

Dr. Meenakshi Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If the gland is removed completely with the sac, then this should not recur. I think that it is not removed completely. I suggest you take capsule Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for five days, tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day for five days, and Mag Mag ointm...  Read Full »

I have a recurring knot outside my vagina, which bursts and bleeds. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 34 year old female weighing 300 pounds. My height is 5'2". I have a vaginal issue that I need advice about. I have a knot that keeps coming up just on the outside of my vagina, and it eventually bursts and bleeds for a while. This has happened twice now, and it has really started ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From the description you have given, it appears to be either Bartholin's abscess or a boil. Both cases can be recurrent if immunity is low, most common cause being diabetes mellitus. Following is my advice for managing the symptoms: Get your blood sugar levels checked; i...  Read Full »

I have a small yellow painful lump on the inside of the lip of my vagina. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a small yellow lump that is painful when I touch or move. It is inside the lip of my vagina. What could be the cause? Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It could be pus accumulation, some infected lesion, or an abscess, so better to have one local examination by a gynecologist. I would suggest you do the following: 1. Biopsy, a high vaginal swab, cervical smear, and discharge from the lump need to be sent for investiga...  Read Full »

I have a reddish swelling with intermittent pain on my right labia majora. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I have reddish swelling on my right labia majora, which occurred three days back. I did not have pain for the past two days, but I have had intermittent pain in the last 24 hours. Also, I have got small wheatish colored bumps across my inner thighs, which are painless, and they have been ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. There are several causes for swelling on the labia, such as furuncle and Bartholin cyst. It is tough to diagnose without pictures. Can you please attach a few pictures for me to review? Once I see the picture, we ...  Read Full »

What causes itchy swelling on the inner labia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with my husband a week ago. I felt some pain during sex and after a day I started getting itchy on the inner side of my left inner labia. I tried to rub a cotton swab to check it and there was fresh blood on it. It happens even now, although itching and irritation ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There might be two possibilities. Either Bartholin's cyst or infected hematoma. You need to upload the picture for us to make the correct diagnosis. The size of the lesion will help us decide whether it can be managed with medications or incision might be needed. Othe...  Read Full »

I have cysts with pus in my vagina, which leave a scar in that region after healing. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and started experiencing pain in my vagina a few years ago. I would grow some cyst or boil with some pus, and then later, a little blood would come out. It would then dry and go and come back again. I still have scars on my vagina and do not know what to do about it. I c...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. If you have been suffering from pussy cyst-like lesions in the vagina recurrently, it is necessary to investigate. So it is better to have a high vaginal swab, a swab from a lesion or cyst, a biopsy, or whatever is...  Read Full »

I felt a bump inside my vagina, and I do not know what caused it. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I felt a bump inside my vagina, and I do not know what caused it. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Bump inside vagina could have many causes but mainly it is due to the presence of a cyst or cysts. For example, Bartholin gland cyst, Gartner cyst, etc. Normally, vaginal cysts are not painful and do not require any treatment unless they are causing problems, such as...  Read Full »

I have a cyst on the outer skin of the upper lips of my vagina. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a cyst on the skin of the upper lips of my vaginal close to where the opening is. It has been there for a while. I thought it was a pimple. But it has not gone away. It is painless, and you can tell something is amiss from the outside. When I touch it, it feels like the size of a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand that you are concerned about a cyst in the perineal area. From the description, it seems like a Bartholin's cyst which occurs commonly in women who are sexually active and do not need treatment unless infected or very large. To confirm, is it near the labia...  Read Full »

I have a hard lump inside my vagina which is painless but feels itchy. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, The internal wall of my vagina has a lump. It was asymptomatic earlier, but in the last few weeks, I have been experiencing an itching sensation in that particular area. The lump has also grown larger in size and has become hard. However, it is painless. What could this be? Please help...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. According to your history, I think it could be a vaginal cyst. Cysts are pockets of fluid, air, or pus that can either be soft or hard. There are many types of cysts. These could be an inclusion cyst (occurs due...  Read Full »

Why am I having swollen labia with severe pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female with no children. My husband and I have been together for six years. We have no extra-marital affairs and I am 100 % sure of that. My right labia is swollen and is very painful to touch, even a slight breeze of air causes extreme pain. The pain is similar to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From the symptoms you described, it sounded like you have developed Bartholin gland abscess. It is an occlusion of the Bartholin gland duct and that has turned to be an abscess. Steroid cream is not used for treatment. You need to finish the antibiotic and continue a wa...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.