Sickle Beta Thalassemia

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing. Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal ...  Read Full »

Is it too risky for me to marry someone with sickle cell trait if I have beta thalassemia trait?

Query: Hi doctor, I have beta thalassemia plus trait (AT+) and want to marry a man with sickle trait (AS). Please see the attached file of my beta thalassemia DNA genetics. Please give me the possibilities of our baby. I know there is a 25 % chance that the baby might have sickle beta plus thalassemia (ST...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thalassemia and sickle cell anemia are autosomal recessive disorders. In your case, the child can be thalassemia sickle cell carrier (heterozygous). The presentation will be mild to moderate...  Read Full »