Q. Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Dr. Veerendra Channabasappa Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these patients?

#

• As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing.
  • Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal hemoglobin) component of hemoglobin which is seen in thalassemia. Thus, high HbF will decrease the complications of sickle cell disease.
  • It will all be dependent on the percentage of HbF, HbS and other hemoglobin patterns present in the patient.
  • It would be more informative if you could share the Hb electrophoresis report along with the clinical condition in detail since birth for giving the details about the prognosis.

Revert back with the reports to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|