Q. I have itchy skin rashes on my back that are now spreading. What should I do?

Dr. Kakkar

There is an area on my back that started as a rash and it has now spread and it continues to itch. What should I do? This has been there for approximately two months. I have attached photos for your reference.

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see several dark nodular lesions on the back. I would keep a possibility of nodular prurigo or hypertrophic lichen planus.

I suggest you use a topical ultrapotent steroid either Clobetasol propionate 0.05% or Betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% or Halobetasol propionate 0.05% twice daily.

In addition to that, you may take oral antihistamines like tablet Cetrizine (Cetirizine) 10 mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Should not it have gone away by now? I have been experiencing this for over two months now.

#

• Are you using something for it?
  • It will not go away on its own.

Yes, I have been using Betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% which an urgent care doctor prescribed approximately a month ago.

#

Yes, that is fine. I suggest you continue it.

If possible ask your doctor to give you the one with salicylic acid that is Betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% plus salicylic acid 3-6%ointment. This would be more effective.

In addition to that, I suggest you take an oral antihistamine that is Cetrizine (Cetirizine) 10 mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

|