Q. I get blood in stool with constipation. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 22, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am 37 years old. I had a problem with bleeding in stool, so I consulted a doctor and he said it is hemorrhoids. He gave me Sitcom 100 mg for one month. I have taken this medicine and blood is not coming now but I have constipation and I took organic psyllium but did not get any benefit. Please advise me on what should I take to get a normal stool.

And my 3.5-year-old girl sometimes complaints for stomach pain. I consulted the doctor but he gave only pain relief syrup, but she did not have any benefit. Please recommend any test to know the actual problem.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics


Welcome to icliniq.com.

In case of rectal bleeding, there are two possibilities, one is SRUS (solitary rectal ulcer syndrome), this is an ulcer formation in the rectum due to chronic constipation, this causes bleed. Another one is hemorrhoids.

I think you have srus, that can be easily treated by Ispaghula and diet modification. We do not do any investigation for this until constipation gets treated and it will not respond.

The problem of hemorrhoids is common in the adult age group. Constipation is among the one of the cause. Other risk factors are alcoholic, liver disease, and rectal carcinoma.

For constipation, we give Isabgol (methylcellulose) that is a bulk-forming agent. Along with this, you need to take a high-fibre diet and plenty of water. If u have hemorrhoids then in early stage exercise can benefit you. There are two types of exercise, one is to decrease your weight if it is excess (more than 80 kg), second is to do anal exercise in the form of anal contraction for five minutes every hour. Controlling constipation will also decrease your hemorrhoids.

Regarding your daughter, I think she had constipation. You should note the duration of sitting in the toilet and that is more than five minutes in case of constipation, and about straining during defecation or passing hard stool. If she has constipation then she needs treatment, her pain will subside after treatment for this. She also does not require any investigation. You should tell about her height and weight if it is abnormal then she requires investigations.


Follow as per discussion for you. Provide details about your daughter. Give her tablet Albendazole 400 once only. Review with details.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is there any ayurvedic treatment for blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who weighs 85 kg, and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had a problem with blood in stool a year ago, which got cured after I took medicines. But nowdays, I have been seeing blood in my stool again. I do not have any problem like itching, pain, etc. I feel it very diffic...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest medicines for piles and blood in stools.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having blood in stools and I have piles. I also have pain in passing the stools. Can you suggest some medicine?  Read Full »

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.