iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologysplenectomyIs pregnancy safe for women with enlarged spleen?

Is it safe to get pregnant with an enlarged spleen?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 10, 2018
Reviewed AtJanuary 17, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (7 inches), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My question is: is it safe to be pregnant with an 18 cm spleen? Is there a risk of splenectomy while I am pregnant? Is it safe to be pregnant without a spleen?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked.

In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If a splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there are chances of infections and other complications as per few studies.

And also enlarged spleen creates trouble in pregnancy as uterine growth in pregnancy is affected and enough space might not be available as the spleen is much enlarged. So, at this point, in my opinion, you should wait for some time.

And, before planning for conception, consult a gynecologist for examination and discuss these issues and accordingly plan the pregnancy.

Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy