Hemoglobinopathy

Is pregnancy safe for women with enlarged spleen?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (18 cm), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My ques...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked. In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there ...  Read Full »

Can HbEe trait in mother affect the children?

Query: Hello doctor, The last few days my wife says that she feels sick. After that, I took my wife to the doctor. She suggested a few tests named HB electrophoresis, ferritin, TSH, PPBS, USG lower abdomen, CBC, PBF and urine test. Result:Hb%: 10.2, platelet-266000, RBC-4.28, WBC-7300, MCV-74, HCT/PCV-32...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The serum ferritin level is not high in every case of hemolytic anemia. Your electrophoresis report is suggestive of HbE (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a case of a mild form of hemolytic anemia. In that case, the ferritin level might not be rais...  Read Full »